Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New Table

I'm a new forum member and thought I'd post a picture of my recently completed table for my large egg.  The top and bottom are constructed with IPE, the framing pressure treated wrapped in white board. The table measures 72" in length, 28" in depth and 36" in height.

Comments

• JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 4,748
    Very nice!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 739
    Welcome.....looks great!  Love the contrast in colors.  Nice job.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Very nice. Welcome.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• RACRAC Posts: 1,688
    Awesome! Welcome aboard and enjoy.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Nice indeed.  Did you use a Kreg jig for the IPE boards?
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Nice looking table.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • 1973C31973C3 Posts: 5
    Yes, I used the Kreg jig for the top and bottom. IPE is very hard and you have to pre-drill all holes. 
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,544

This is Beautiful, So beautiful that I would love you to make me one however I need to ask the pro's here can we put our BGE on our decks! (A beautiful deck like this I might add) I am a semi newbie 2 years with my XL and over 30 years on a Weber and well over a thousand pounds of lump on the BGE but my rig is 10 feet from my house on a cement slab and I have to tell you I have seen sparks come out of the screened opening, there are times when the wind is blowing here in Michigan and I can get some sparks a flying. I know everyone wants to era on the side of caution but what is the Industry standard.

I believe I know the answer but I would love a way to put my Egg on my deck and feel confident that my family is safe.

Chuck

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

I need to be able to go to bed during a low & slow and be confident that all's well.   

Dimondale, Michigan XL BGE
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 2,369
    Love the ipe- nice work
    Greensboro, NC
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 4,560
    Welcome..Love the Table..Tell us more about the Jeep in the background.. Happy Egging..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Very nice, love the IPE and it has a very high fire rating.
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,917
    Beautiful table!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • RedskullRedskull Posts: 55
    Okay y'all, what is IPE?  I absolutely am envious, that table is beautiful...
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 381
    Beautiful table!
    Mamaroneck
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,917
    Redskull said:
    Okay y'all, what is IPE?  I absolutely am envious, that table is beautiful...
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10000872396390444868204578063091931357384
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    IPE is also know as Brazilian ironwood. It's most commonly used as decking. I used it for this project for several reasons. First it has an "A" fire rating, it is very difficult to burn because it is so dense. I set a burning piece of lump directly on a scrap piece for about 20 minutes it barley marked it. Secondly as you can see it is gorgeous when lightly sanded and oiled. I used IPE oil for the finish. To keep the finish looking like this will require light sanding and oil annually.
  • RedskullRedskull Posts: 55
    Thanks 1973C3 explanation.  That is a magnificent table...
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • geronimogeronimo Posts: 27
    Very nice table!!! 
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 670
    @1973C3 beautiful table.  Are the 4x4 corner posts in a sleeve?  I don't see joints on the whitewood wrap.  I love the clean lines you have going on this one.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• calikingcaliking Posts: 9,387
    Very nice. It goes so well with your existing deck.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 1973C31973C3 Posts: 5
    BigWader said:
    @1973C3 beautiful table.  Are the 4x4 corner posts in a sleeve?  I don't see joints on the whitewood wrap.  I love the clean lines you have going on this one.
    They are 4 x 4's in the sleeves. 
  • Very nice looking table. Clean lines.
  • AUCEAUCE Posts: 890
    Well done..love IPE...planning on using it on my table..

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 4,916
    That is a great looking table. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,531
    That is a beautiful table.  For the IPE did you use a deck jig like this one? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• News2uNews2u Posts: 288
    Eggcellent tie-in with the design of your deck. And Ipe is a fantastic choice.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 16,053
    Bea u ti ful!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Fantastic design and and choice of materials.  May I ask what is the distance between the first and second levels?  I am in the process of building my table and comparing various designs to BGE's suggested measurement of 15 inches.  Many thanks.