Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket was a success!

Options
Mean406
Mean406 Posts: 4
Did my first brisket last night and served it today. It was excellent! Low and slow for 15 hours and a long hold of almost 6 hours. Was tender, flavorful and moist. Just a basic rub, beef broth injection and smoke until done. I did not crutch this time. 14 lb packer and I pulled it off the egg at 203 degrees and it was wobbly and like butter with a good smoky crust. Whole family loved it and I am so happy it turned out well.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mean406‌
    Congratulations sir. Excellent job. =D> =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks great!  Welcome to the forum my man!
    Options
    Thanks! I was cruising the site a couple days ago and got a few pointers to help guide me on this journey. The one issue I have is knowing how much smoke is enough. I was right on the edge of being too smokey I feel. I agressively tended the smoke for the first two hours and then just let it go. I was adding some chunks about every 45 minutes for that first two hours or so. Cooked at 225 degrees at the grate all the way. Used a mix of mesquite and apple chunks and I did soak them. Any pointers would be appreciated now that I can write back in the site.
  • ponder
    ponder Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm going to be doing my first brisket in a few days...hope mine turns out as well as yours did. Really nice job!
    Bloomington Springs, TN... LBGE, charcuterie, winemaker, cheesemaker, experimental plumber and approximate carpenter. Selective misanthrope and budding retrophrenologist.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Mean406‌ Excellent! Welcome to the forum. Was this your first ever brisket or just on the egg? Either way you did great. FWIW as you get more experience on the egg especially concerning L&S you'll tweak and modify the way you prep, lump, different wood chunks etc. But on brisket some things are better when kept simple. Enjoy and look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Excellent job!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options

Most eggcellent cook!  Congrats on hitting a home-run.

BTW-Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Look's good from here! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Mean406
    Mean406 Posts: 4
    Options
    @Mean406‌ Excellent! Welcome to the forum. Was this your first ever brisket or just on the egg? Either way you did great. FWIW as you get more experience on the egg especially concerning L&S you'll tweak and modify the way you prep, lump, different wood chunks etc. But on brisket some things are better when kept simple. Enjoy and look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future. ;-)

It was my first brisket ever. I have had the egg for years but I just never took the time to do something that takes this long before. I will do it again! Friends and family love the chickens I do on the egg so I decided what the hell! Let's go for the big hunk of meat. I am sooooo glad I did.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looks great! Just got my egg and have cooked a lot of stuff in the past few weeks ... But I haven't tackled a brisket. Scarred by previous tough-as-shoe leather briskets. This should inspire me to try it out this weekend!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Looks great! I've done a few that came out great but always seem to finish fast. My dome usually stays a steady 280 average. Seems our warm summer does have some effect as in the winter 225 is no problem. What did you run?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian