Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naan-style bread on the egg, first attempt

Options
ponder
ponder Posts: 77
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Actually turned out great. Only have one authentic Indian restaurant near me to compare the result to, but this tastes very similar and has the same texture and chew. Recipe for the dough is from a Russian cooking website, and my wife who's from Siberia had to make it for me since my Russian is...less than fluent. But if anyone is interested I am sure I can get her to translate it..
Bloomington Springs, TN... LBGE, charcuterie, winemaker, cheesemaker, experimental plumber and approximate carpenter. Selective misanthrope and budding retrophrenologist.

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @ponder. If she'd go to the trouble, I'd be interested in the recipe. I love to cook Indian food.
    Beautiful view up there in God's country.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ponder
    Options
    Sure. I thought someone might, so I already asked her to do it before I posted. Will post it back in here as soon as she's finished. Thanks, we love it here. Middle of the woods and nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away...bought in 2003 on the cheap and lucky enough to know that that view will always be there. And I'm only a little over an hour from you. Near Cookeville.
    Bloomington Springs, TN... LBGE, charcuterie, winemaker, cheesemaker, experimental plumber and approximate carpenter. Selective misanthrope and budding retrophrenologist.
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @ponder. Thanks, man. A little cooler up there on the plateau too. 

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    +1 for the recipe please.

That last pic is poetry.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ponder
    edited July 2014
    Options
    OK, here's the recipe for the dough:... -INGREDIENTS- 3/4 cup whole milk... 1/2 cup room temp water (For those who want to avoid the milk, use 1 1/4 cups water)... 1/4 cup Greek yogurt with 1 tsp Fleishmans yeast stirred in... 1 additional tsp yeast... 1 1/2 tsp sugar... 1 tbsp olive oil... 3 to 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (start with 3 cups and add as needed until dough is not sticky)... 2 tbsp of wheat bran (optional - can find in walmart near flaxseed)... 1 1/2 tsp sea salt (or Kosher salt)... 2 tsp sesame seeds... 1/2 tsp cumin seeds... 1/4 tsp cardamom... - DIRECTIONS - Mix all ingredients as listed above (except salt and all seeds) in the order listed above. You can do this in a bread machine or by hand in a large bowl. Place dough in bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, add salt and seeds to dough and knead vigorously for 8 - 10 minutes. Form into round ball. Oil another bowl lightly with olive oil and place dough ball inside. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 90 to 120 minutes until doubled in size (if making ahead of time, put unrisen dough ball in the oiled bowl in refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours - the dough will actually rise in the refrigerator according to my wife - the dough will be ready to use in 8 hours and will be OK to use up to 24 hours after putting in the fridge). After dough has doubled in size place on floured bread board or countertop and divide into 4 to 6 pieces depending on the size you want (in the pictures as I posted above, we divided into 6 pieces). Make a miniature ball out each piece of dough, sprinkle lightly with flour and cover with plastic wrap for 30 minutes while the Egg is heating to 600 degrees dome. When Egg is at temp, roll out dough into rough circles that are around 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to baking stone on a lightly floured peel (or in our case an old pizza cardboard). Make sure your stone has a good layer of cornmeal. Allow to rise and begin crusting on top then flip once, baking until golden brown and crusty when tapped with tongs. Remove and place on plate and cover with a towel or cloth until all are done. NOTE: Your cornmeal will scorch at this temp...I just brushed it off the stone and applied again as needed when I could smell it starting to burn...didn't get any burned taste on the bread at all.
  • ponder
    Options
    caliking said:
    +1 for the recipe please. That last pic is poetry.

Thanks. It's really great on summer evenings when the fireflies are out in full force...looks like you are looking down on the stars...
  • ponder
    Options
    Forgot to say to check often, as this is done fairly quickly, only a minute or two before first flip...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @ponder‌ great looking cook! Thanks for the details.
    Your picturesque view is breathtaking!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That looks awesome.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @ponder. Thanks for the recipe. Going for a curry tonight to get in the mood.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• y84k
    y84k Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!