Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's Cook: Homemade Bread and Beer Butt Chicken

Options
So today we thought we'd try homemade bread on the Egg. My wife is an excellent bread maker and we were anxious to see how the egg worked out as a bread oven. While the Missus was getting the bread dough ready, I set the egg up using the plate setter with the legs up and the grill on. Got it stable at 375 and when the dough was ready to go on we slipped the bread pan onto the grill. Using the grill allowed air to circulate around the pan ( as opposed to going legs down with the plate setter.). Needed to fiddle with the air flow to keep the temp in the 350 -375 range. Here's a pic of the loaf image It was delicious as usual. The recipe was one of the ones my wife routinely uses in our indoor oven. Quite frankly, however, it didn't taste any better or worse than her usual excellent product. It was a novelty to cook it on the egg but there's really no reason to do it again ... She'll just use the gas oven we have in the house. OTOH I could see giving a try at doing a free form artisan style bread on the pizza stone just for fun but that will be for another day. Now to the protein. I have an old Weber vertical roaster that I've had for a couple of decades. Thought I'd give it a go today. I prepared the bird with Mickey's dry rub, put some beer, garlic and rosemary in the liquid cup and plopped the bird on. I set the Egg up for indirect cooking at 325 with hickory chips on the charcoal. image Looks good going in ... Notice the Bloody Caesar in the background ... Can't cook without a libation! Coming out of the Egg the bird looked great image On the table the bird pulled apart nicely and the meat had a good smoke colour and flavour ... But ... It wasn't as nice as the spatchcocked bird I did last week. Don't get me wrong it was tasty but not as good as had expected based on my last bird and the skin was rubbery. Think I'll return to spatching the next one. image

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

"You should see what I've seen with your eyes" - Roy Batty, Bladerunner

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @beemrider‌ Tell the Mrs her bread is :-bd and your yard bird looks awesome! I love Mickey's on yard bird. I've also tried it on pork ribs, Boston Butt, brisket. Good stuff. Again great looking cook.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Fantastic looking meal!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • beemrider
    beemrider Posts: 23
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @beemrider‌ Tell the Mrs her bread is :-bd and your yard bird looks awesome! I love Mickey's on yard bird. I've also tried it on pork ribs, Boston Butt, brisket. Good stuff. Again great looking cook.

Thanks. I appreciate that

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• beemrider
    Options
    Fantastic looking meal!!

Thank you.

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I'm surprised the bread didn't pick up any smoke at all. Gotta love fresh baked bread. I have one of those Weber chicken racks and have been spatchcocking them instead also. Nice cook sir.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Dobie‌ this is one of the many reasons for a neutral burning lump. I've baked pies, pretzels, etc and they're great. Use a Smokey acrid lump and that enthusiasm quickly turns to...man this is way to Smokey or bitter. It definitely makes a difference. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dobie
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I'm quickly falling into that same category with the neutral heat source. I cook outside about 5 times per week and while the distinct smoke flavor is desirable at times with the amount I do it its overdone night after night. Definitely moving away from the BGE charcoal and  turning to more neutral fuel. Can always use something else on cooks I want to bring the smoke or add wood to punch it up.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Bread and chicken both look :-bd to me. Nicely done.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice cook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That all looks awesome..I love the pic of the cooked bird with your garden in the background.. Great back drop..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Laxin16
    Laxin16 Posts: 62
    Options
    Looks Great! Nicely done. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Nice work! I've baked bread on the egg before too... nice to not have to heat up the kitchen with the oven,
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I'm surprised the bread didn't pick up any smoke at all. Gotta love fresh baked bread. I have one of those Weber chicken racks and have been spatchcocking them instead also. Nice cook sir.

Thank you. Funny thing is I didn't notice the smoke on the bread I guess because I'd been standing in it and the chicken was full of it ... today, however, when we opened the package to get a few slices for supper it was really apparent.

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• Dobie
    Options
    @beemrider‌ I figured it must unless it was some very mild coal. @NPHuskerFL‌ and I have been discussing neutral charcoals for cooks that should not be overpowered with smoke and your post made me curious.
    Jacksonville FL
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice looking spread cant wait to try making bread on my egg and some other baking  goodies
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Dobie‌ even on a neural lump you'll get a certain amount of wood fired flavor which is something that should be somewhat desirable even on breads, baked goods and desserts when making them on the egg. Otherwise we just as well go inside and use the oven. When I say neutral I mean I don't want it to look like Willie Nelson & Snoop Dogg are all up in my egg. You follow my drift. Using neutral lumps allows you to add different flavors when it's desirable (chunks of different woods) or nothing added when less smoke is desired. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Love the bread. Chicken looks good too.

And nice backyard BTW :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great! I agree that the egg doesn't add anything to loaf bread. But for artisan boules I think it does. Get the stone as high up in the dome as possible, the reflective heat from the dome helps I think.

Be sure you have clean lump in your egg. If you cooked any meat on that lump before, empty it out and use clean lump. With bread it is very important to make sure you get a clean burning fire. Also when baking artisan bread I usually run at a higher temp, around 450-475. I think this helps clean the smoke out faster. Also, check your dome before starting, if there is black build up, take a ball of wadded up foil and give it a cleaning. I have done bread that tasted of smoke (especially the next day as you described) and also had some you could not tell from the flavor where it was baked.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks good from here.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Dobie
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I don't expect to not have any added flavor from the fuel as you said.
    I can break out the Weber Genesis for that clean burn. Funny you mentioned Willie and Snoop,
    I was thinking Cheech & Chong. Old school I guess.

Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Dobie said:

@NPHuskerFL I don't expect to not have any added flavor from the fuel as you said.
    I can break out the Weber Genesis for that clean burn. Funny you mentioned Willie and Snoop,
    I was thinking Cheech & Chong. Old school I guess.

Damn that's some smokey lump. :)) RO---That would be like Cheech & Chong along w/ Willie & Snoop >:)
    Side note: My wife and I went to a concert at the Comedy Zone a few years back (before he went to jail/prison and even before he appeared on That 70s Show). Tommy and his Wife were hilarious!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • beemrider
    Options
    DMW said:
    Looks great! I agree that the egg doesn't add anything to loaf bread. But for artisan boules I think it does. Get the stone as high up in the dome as possible, the reflective heat from the dome helps I think.

Be sure you have clean lump in your egg. If you cooked any meat on that lump before, empty it out and use clean lump. With bread it is very important to make sure you get a clean burning fire. Also when baking artisan bread I usually run at a higher temp, around 450-475. I think this helps clean the smoke out faster. Also, check your dome before starting, if there is black build up, take a ball of wadded up foil and give it a cleaning. I have done bread that tasted of smoke (especially the next day as you described) and also had some you could not tell from the flavor where it was baked.

Good advice. Thank you.

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Very nice cook.  The bread looks great!! 

As far as not tasting the smoke initially - I'm convinced that while cooking on the Egg, your olfactory sensors become saturated, and you miss out on the smoke the first day.  When your sensors recover, you get to enjoy an entirely new flavor profile. 

Using a more smoke neutral lump allows you to apply the smoke profile you desire with smoking wood, rather than relying on that provided by the lump.

Enjoy!!

Santa Paula, CA