Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roast Beef

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So I thawed a bottom round roast I had planned to use for jerky. Last minute change of plans I decided to do deli roast beef for lunch meat.

I wanted to hit it with high heat for a crust and then drop the temp to slowly cook the interior. Stabilized the XL at 300* while I was finishing a required useless webcast this afternoon. I then opened things up at let it hit 500*. I put the roast on for 5 min, then flipped and another 5 min. Then closed all vents down to just barely opened. Over the next hour it took to finish it finally worked its way down to 300*.

I haven't tried to drop temp like this before, and not sure I liked it, thermal mass of the ceramics are just way too efficient. This is one case where a metal cooker might be better. Its cooling now, I'll know when I slice it if I killed the exterior. I think I'm going back to reverse sear, or just start low and bring the temp up towards the end of the cook. Or start closing things up as soon as I put the meat on.

@SGH I know you have started cooks at high temp and dropped it down, any tips?imageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Let us know how this turns out. It sure does look good!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW
    Brother when I am going to start at a high temp but drop back down I be sure to use large empty drip pan. When I'm ready to drop temp just pour water into the pan and the temp will drop off dramatically. When I'm doing turkey I can drop from 500 degrees to 325 in a matter of minutes using this method. The ensuing steam drops the temp very quick even in the ceramic cookers. For reference the pan I use is 16x2 1/2 and will hold almost 3 gallons of water. It will drop the temp with no problem. I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH Thanks, makes perfect sense, will try that next time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I think that you cook on a XL. If I am correct in that assumption I would recommend a larger pan. The 16 inch is perfect for the large. Not sure of the diameter of your XL.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH Yes, XL. Same technique, just use the largest pan that will work to fill up with cold water to absorb the heat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    My large is 17 inches in diameter so I use a 16 inch pan. The -1 inch rule should work just as well on each size egg. As always your food looks like a winner my friend. Excellent job.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DMW‌ Superb! And might I add that's a gorgeous galantine work! Beautiful work!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Just one final note my friend. On my large 1 quart of cold water dumped into the pan will drop the large egg from 500 degrees to 325 in under 10 minutes. Of course you still need to start choking the vents down as well but that goes without saying. It would be my guess that on your XL that 2 quarts of cold water would be real close to perfect. Again your food looks excellent as always my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Looks awesome!!! I'm sure it tasted great.
  • DMW
    Options
    @anzyegg I'll let you know when I slice it. Its in the freezer now. Should be an hour or so before its ready to slice.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    For deli sandwiches seems to me you might not want a crust/bark. I think you are better off with the reverse sear - and hold the sear. Let the smoke and the rub work some magic, pull the roast at 125-130º then into the freezer or fridge to quick cool. Once it has firmed, slice it. 

I use inside/bottom round for Italian beef. The roast is cooked over a pan of beef broth to ensure that no crust forms. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    looks good!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• DMW
    Options
    OK, Phillies are done, beat the Brewers (again). Got it on the slicer. The ends were a bit overdone for my liking, but the rest was just what I was looking for. This was SPOG with another extra coat of pepper. The flavor worked great. Its now in the freezer overnight and I'll vac pack it tomorrow in bags.

Flavor was what I was looking for. Looking forward to lunches with some horseradish and onions.

imageimageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    nice n purdy
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Looks like a winner to me!!

Status- Standing by.

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Wow that looks awesome..I also learnt a lot about dropping temps from this thread Thanks again @SGH
    =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    Options
    @DMW - Do you have to put it in the freezer or was that just to save some time?  Could you put it in the fridge just as well and slice the next day? Thinking of getting a deli slicer, you may have just pushed me over the line.  Looks great!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @DMW‌, u have a slicer? Those slices look too purty. Lol
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • DMW
    Options
    @SpartanPride It slices a bit easier if it is partially frozen. Not needed, but I always do now. You don't want it solid though.

@GATABITES Yes, I have a Chef's Choice 615. It works well for the volume of slicing I use it for.

Thanks guys.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Use 'em for reverse wraps! Didn't I read something on here about that yesterday?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice Beef!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Wow looks great @DMW.  Wife and I both love Roast Beef.

Thanks @SGH for the info on dropping the temp.  I feel like that's something that is so obvious you wouldn't think of it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Beautiful - that beast should keep you well fed for many meals to come.  also, I LOVE THE SLICER - I am researching them now.  Nice cook.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    ^:)^  Damn. You got me wanting to break out my slicer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SGH
    Options
    @saluki2007‌
    You are more than welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.