Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cranking up the temp after smoking

Options
Hey all, 

What's the best way to get the temperature of the egg up to grilling temp after an all night low and slow?

Don't know about you but when I cook for a party I like to smoke a butt overnight the night before then, when it comes off, turn up the temp to sear/grill some steaks, burgers, little gems, whatever. 

I'm using a medium egg and BGE lumpwood. After a 12 - 18 hour smoke i'm running pretty low on lump and have a nice, but thick layer of ash in the bottom of the fire box blocking the air flow. 

What's the best technique for breathing new life into the fire?

Cheers, Phil.

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I stir the remaining lump to clear the ash from the fire grate and add more new lump on top. Open the draft door and remove the DFMT and you should be up to temp pretty rapidly. I would not clean out the ash collection area due to embers being a fire risk in my ash bucket.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!