Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman steaks

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
My new 'go to' technique for steaks.  Seared right on the hot coals, then finished raised direct.  A ring of Kielbasa as an appetizer while the rib eyes rested. 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like it reverse seared. Looks good!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌
    Looks like a winner to me. @hapster has started a new trend with the cave man style steaks. I'm fixing to join the club myself. Excellent cook my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks like they turned out fantastic!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Can't argue with that. Nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Ok...so I have been off the grid lately. What are the health concerns for cooking meat on the coals...if any? Seems odd to me but I could be sold.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Tjcoley
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Call it Caveman, Dirty Grilling or 'Clinching', cooking steaks direct on the coals has been around a while. If it was good enough for Julia Child back in the day, iit's good enough for me. Not worried about any health effects. "Julia Child, so famous for her sophisticated French cuisine, also was known to occasionally get dirty. She demonstrated "dirty steak" with a 3-pound rib-eye roast on the PBS series "In Julia's Kitchen Cooking with Master Chefs." In that 1996 episode, the husband/wife culinary team of Johanne Killeen and George Germon also prepare a "hot fanny" sauce, a spicy-sweet barbecue sauce made with caramelized onions, jalapeno and chicken stock. If the queen of traditional cooking can take a walk on the wild side, so can you."
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I've cooked steaks on a slab o granite when backpacking.
    I've also skewered them and cooked them like marshmallows on a stick over an open campfire.
    But, I've never tried tossing them straight on the coals.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Tjcoley
    Options
    @Zmokin. Try it sometime. You will not regret it.
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Call it Caveman, Dirty Grilling or 'Clinching', cooking steaks direct on the coals has been around a while. If it was good enough for Julia Child back in the day, iit's good enough for me. Not worried about any health effects. "Julia Child, so famous for her sophisticated French cuisine, also was known to occasionally get dirty. She demonstrated "dirty steak" with a 3-pound rib-eye roast on the PBS series "In Julia's Kitchen Cooking with Master Chefs." In that 1996 episode, the husband/wife culinary team of Johanne Killeen and George Germon also prepare a "hot fanny" sauce, a spicy-sweet barbecue sauce made with caramelized onions, jalapeno and chicken stock. If the queen of traditional cooking can take a walk on the wild side, so can you."

Too funny. :))
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌ Looks like ya nailed it man. Very nice indeed. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL