Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new Fishbone grate - another alternative

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,896
Anybody bought one of these yet? Looks like the design and gauge is heavy duty and up to the task.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks cool... like the HiQue without the outer rim...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @RRP‌ ooh awww! SS! I love SS ;) And it definitely looks up to the task. Hmmmm Amazon?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Moosebranch
    Options
    I may purchase this. My EGG "choked" up on me during an overnight cook, which could've been from fire grate or the million smalls pieces from my RO lol
    Large Egg
    Atlanta
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I may purchase this. My EGG "choked" up on me during an overnight cook, which could've been from fire grate or the million smalls pieces from my RO lol
    My stock grate "choked" on me exactly once before I upgraded. I didn't want to bother risking another cook.

I went with a High-Que, although this looks like it would work also.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like this, especially since Jonathan is no longer making them. The lack of the rolled edge will help prevent shifting.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I like this, especially since Jonathan is no longer making them. The lack of the rolled edge will help prevent shifting.
    Interesting. The outer edge on the High-Que does allow it to move around a bit, but under high temp and years of use, the SS will bend and deform. The outer rim helps prevent/minimize this, IMO. This even has the same number of bars as the High-Que grate. It is $5 less than a High-Que for those interested and it is a charcoal grate where looks and appearance are not that important.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I'm a newb but it looks like that smaller pieces of coal would fall through along with ash to the bottom of the egg easier?
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I'm a newb but it looks like that smaller pieces of coal would fall through along with ash to the bottom of the egg easier?
    BINGO! as well as better airflow in general!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Interesting. The outer edge on the High-Que does allow it to move around a bit, but under high temp and years of use, the SS will bend and deform. The outer rim helps prevent/minimize this, IMO. This even has the same number of bars as the High-Que grate. It is $5 less than a High-Que for those interested and it is a charcoal grate where looks and appearance are not that important.  

I got a look at them at the GA Mtn fest.  The grate on the right looked to have been singled out with some bars a bit out of alignment from the others.  I would hope this is not typical. This was probably not material to impacting performance but if you like the look of having them aligned this might be or become an issue for you.image

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    FWIW for those who do a lot of ordering from Amazon, I checked and while the HiQue qualifies for free shipping, the Fishbone grate does not--at least this was the case at the time of this post for me.  This pretty much puts them at the same price. when shipped to my location in Alaska, since the shipping was around $8.95.  Caveat being that you do have to add another small item to the tune of around $3 to actually qualify for the free shipping if going with the HiQue.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• mahenryak
    Options

ads75 said:
    My stock grate "choked" on me exactly once before I upgraded. I didn't want to bother risking another cook.

Perhaps slightly OT but @ads75 have you found any problems with too much ash or small charcoal building up beneath the grate when using your HighQue?  (I'm thinking of getting one.)

• Dobie
    Options
    RRP said:
    Dobie said:

So no concern about too much passing through and burning in the bottom?
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Dobie said:

RRP said:

Dobie said:

So no concern about too much passing through and burning in the bottom?

Nope, the unburnt pieces that fall down will continue to burn during the cook.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dobie
    Options
    I may consider this then. My stock unit hasn't failed me yet but it's new and only one long cook so far.
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I may consider this then. My stock unit hasn't failed me yet but it's new and only one long cook so far.
    I don't think it's a must have item for your new egg - in fact my suggestion is to put it on your wish list along with a SmokeWare cap from this same company, but spend your "butter and egg money" on a Thermapen first.
  • Dobie
    Options
    RRP said:
    Dobie said:
    I don't think it's a must have item for your new egg - in fact my suggestion is to put it on your wish list along with a SmokeWare cap from this same company, but spend your "butter and egg money" on a Thermapen first.

Since you brought up the Thermapen, what makes it worth 10 X the cost of the $10 digital I'm using now? I know it reads fast but is that all? I like nice quality stuff that lasts but is there some performance benefit I'm not understanding?
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Dobie Aside from being fast (really useful for hot and fast cooks like thin steaks) it is also lab calibrated and super accurate.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    DMW said:

@Dobie Aside from being fast (really useful for hot and fast cooks like thin steaks) it is also lab calibrated and super accurate.

Your arm hair will thank you when checking a temp while the egg is 600+. What takes me 6-10 seconds used to take 30-45 with my cheap Taylor.
  • RRP
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Dobie, you raise valid points and trust me I had the same doubts 13 years ago when I finally bought mine. Btw it's still on the original battery! The super fast and accurate aspect means a lot when say you are searing steaks at 700 degrees and honestly seconds make a BIG difference! Ruin $200 worth of steaks and that $100 Thermapen sounds cheap. Or say you are cooking several steaks for a party or family and some want bloody rare, some rare, some medium and some well. Checking the internal temp is fast and easy. Another point is holding your hand over a towering inferno while reading the temp and you'll again appreciate the speed and accuracy. Whether I or others convince you tonight is neither here nor there, but eventually you'll come around to realizing why us believers believe the way we do. Cooking to time doesn't create the UMAI that cooking to temperature does...trust me...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Dobie‌ - the thermapen is not a must-have, as there are cheaper alternatives from the same company. Thermoworks makes great, accurate products that will definitely make you a better cook outdoors as well as indoors. . I use mine when baking bread, making yogurt, egging, and to check the temp of the pool.

Check out the thermapop or the RT-600c for examples.

But just so you know, questioning the thermapen is probably the second most controversial topic here (lump preference is the first) :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dobie
    Options
    @RRP believe me I cooked by feel for years but a couple years ago decided science was better. I've used my Weber mitts plenty of times to stick the meat. I will likely get around to this upgrade like you mentioned. Having a monitor that keeps the lid down will likely happen first but I'm learning the manual stuff first. I might not have a stick shift equipped tranny vehicle anymore but I think everyone should know how to drive one, same with the BGE to me. Sorry for the thread hijack.
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Dobie said:
    @RRP believe me I cooked by feel for years but a couple years ago decided science was better. I've used my Weber mitts plenty of times to stick the meat. I will likely get around to this upgrade like you mentioned. Having a monitor that keeps the lid down will likely happen first but I'm learning the manual stuff first. I might not have a stick shift equipped tranny vehicle anymore but I think everyone should know how to drive one, same with the BGE to me. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Not a hijack...btw I too grew up with stick shifts, but now even my Corvette is an automatic! LOL
  • Dobie
    Options
    @caliking‌ every forum has those topics that some newb like me stumbles on and either gets shut down and told to use the search function or starts a sh!t storm with the senior members so I know what you're saying. Don't ban me yet !
    Jacksonville FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Dobie - just yanking your chain a bit :) Nobody gets banned, because there are no moderators here. The natives do a pretty good job of taking care of miscreants!

I was serious about the other thermoworks products though. Used the rt600c for a few years and really liked it for the price.

Now back to regular scheduled programming...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    mahenryak said:

ads75 said:

Perhaps slightly OT but @ads75 have you found any problems with too much ash or small charcoal building up beneath the grate when using your HighQue?  (I'm thinking of getting one.)
    @mahenryak Yes, some small pieces fall through the Hi-que, but not a substantial amount. I still wait several cooks before cleaning the bottom of my BGE. Some small pieces fall through, a small, but acceptable amount. I have no regrets. In the 2 years I've been using a Hi-Que, I would be surprised if the dollar value of the lump that has fallen through exceeded $5.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • mahenryak
    Options
    ads75 said:
    @mahenryak Yes, some small pieces fall through the Hi-que, but not a substantial amount. I still wait several cooks before cleaning the bottom of my BGE. Some small pieces fall through, a small, but acceptable amount. I have no regrets. In the 2 years I've been using a Hi-Que, I would be surprised if the dollar value of the lump that has fallen through exceeded $5.
    Thank you.  I've placed my order.

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    I received mine today and will use it Sunday. I will let you know how it performs.