Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket question

Options
DIAD
DIAD Posts: 187
Hello everyone!  I cooked my 3rd brisky over the weekend and it was the best one yet.  I guess that since all of the help on the first two I knew what to expect.  In separating the point from the flat you get a good amount of area with no bark on the point and the flat.  Has anyone tried to separate the two cuts early, apply rub and put them back on the smoker?  I really enjoy the bark and would like more on both pieces of meat.  I typically do the fat cap down so on a certain percentage of the flat there is next to zero bark. 

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Chester, MD

Comments

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Do you have an outline of your process?  I generally slice in between the point and flat about 1-3 inches, so I have a good start on the separation after the meat is all cooked.  You do fat cap down on the egg? 
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    @SeahawksEGGHead yes, I do fat cap down on the egg.  My logic is that I like the bark on top and feel that the fat cap will just render away taking my dizzy dust with it.  I do slice a little between the point and the flat prior to cooking.  I try to get some rub in there as well.  I just don't see how it is possible to get bark all the way around without overcooking the brisket. 

Another question that I just thought of...I love the point!  I always see flats for sale at the stores, but rarely do I see just the point.  If I do it's around St. Patty's day.  What do the butchers do with all of the points?  There certainly is not a good ratio of flats to points in the meat cases where I shop.  Just a thought...
    Chester, MD
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DIAD‌ the points are going to those brisket killers at Arbys :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL