Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

when guru's are dialed in how often does fan come on

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
I read the manual and want to make sure ive done 3 cooks and I get the fan coming on with the blinks at anywhere from 2-3. Right now its at one blink, so coming on really quick then off. Fan damper is set @ 1/3 open.

Just want to make sure.its normal the fan comes on every 30 sec to minute , but does not stay long at all.

Brisket is on

Thanks.image
Seattle, WA

Comments

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Looks Excellent - Can I come over when it's done?

OK - lets think about what the Guru does.  The fan only comes on when the temperature is under the target value.  If it isn't much under, it will be on for only a very brief time.  If it is over the target value, it won't come on at all.  The further the temp is below the target, the longer it will be on.  On the display, you will see a % number - this is the percentage of the time the blower is operating.  The time it is actually operating is indicated by an *.  This assumes that the BGE model operates like the CyberQ.  This may be a faulty assumption, as I don't know what "blinks" are. 

But the underlying premise is the same.  If the temperature is correct, don't worry about it.

Santa Paula, CA
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    It will only come on as needed, the natural air flow still occurs and the fan just gives it a bump as needed.  If it was constantly on, you would want to open the damper and daisy wheel more.  So you should be good to go.
  • MagicMike
    MagicMike Posts: 40
    Options
    @SkinnyV Yea that sounds normal to me. I've noticed when the egg is a few degrees below your target temp, the guru will turn the fan on for a longer period of time (Maybe 5-8 flashes every 30 secs) then when it's either at or slightly above your target temp (Maybe 1-3 flashes every 30 secs). Usually mine will turn on every 30 secs to a min as well, as long as I am not well above or below my target temp.
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    Options
    My fan comes on for a quickie several times a minute, even if it's at the correct temp. Just a little puff and it stops. If it's below temp, it stays on. If it's above temp, it doesn't seem to puff as much, but it does come on regularly like as a very short self test. But, it's just a puff and then it goes back to "neutral" . Maybe that's what the % means for the fan? Time that its actually running?

Example file below showing an all nighter at 275 pit (red); fan in blue.. A little probe adjustment at around 9:15p. Fan runs high all night due to freezing temperatures and high altitude (= thin air). Wake up at 6 for work and throw in more lump. Fan gradually speed up during the day and take things off at around 2:30 when done. 

I see a few probe spikes in the meat temps (green), but a few bad inputs in 18 hours is fine. I normally don't see these. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Assuming it has similar response to my Stoker the blower may only come on every minute or so for only a few seconds. I've seen the blower inactive for like 30-45 minutes as well. As long as pit temp is maintained it will be inactive(off). But, from your description it sounds normal.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL