Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Boston Butt

Options
piney
piney Posts: 1,478
I am going to do a 14 lb brisket and a 8 lb boston butt together on a LBGE for a birthday dinner on Sunday at 1pm., my question is do I put the brisket on the bottom and butt on top (using  the AR) or vice versa? Also what about cooking times? Do I start the brisket and then a few hours in add the butt?
Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @piney‌
    Let me first say that this is just my opinion and how I prefer to do it. I always prefer to put beef above pork for various reasons that need not be delved into here. Next if timing is of no concern I would cook them seperate. If they must be cooked at the same time for some reason then I would load them at the same time. I prefer to load a smoker one time for one run if at all possible. Reduces the chance of fouling up. Just my thoughts my friend. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited July 2014
    Options
    +1 on beef over pork but that is like Ford vs Chevy-regarding the cook start, I would focus on the brisket cook as that has a much tighter finish window than the pork.  Cook total time depends to a large eggstent on your calibrated dome temp.  If running around 270-290*F on the dome the brisket will likely take a little less than 1.5 hrs/# with the butt going a little longer per lb.  But each will cook at their own pace. That said, give yourself some space and aim to finish early and use FTC to get you to the eat time.  Each will hold easily for 4+ hours in a good cooler (pre-heated) wrapped and hot towels to fill the void.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Thanks SGH and lousubcap, I think if I do the butt on the top rack that the pork drippings will foul up the brisket, also, I might cook them seperate I have a large and a medium egg, if i do that I will start them at the same time. I will try to keep both eggs around 275. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • SGH
    Options
    I would definitely do them seperate if you have two eggs. That will give you total control over each meat to make adjustments if need be without interfering with the other. I would not even consider cooking them together if you have two eggs. The exception to this would be if you had a very large offset or vertical cooker where space wasn't a issue. Just my thoughts my friend. Good luck.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    One last thing. For the brisket you can safely run anywhere from 225-275 and get outstanding results with little effort. On the butt you can really crank it up if you so desire. I have been cooking them as of late in the 375 degree arena with outstanding results. No wrap no nothing. 375 degrees indirect until done. This shortens the dwell time in the cooker dramatically.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @‌piney
    This is honestly the last thing.
    I follow the beef over pork rule across the board. Just my preference.

Status- Standing by.