Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt

jeffgrice
jeffgrice Posts: 7
So I am trying my hand at a pork butt for the first time. I'm a little nervous about really messing this up and ruining our July 4 pulled pork sandwiches. I have 5.5 lbs bone in butt. I'm guessing that it should take 10-12 hours to cook.

Do I need to put the meat on a rack or just directly on the grill?

I have not tried a low temperature cook like this before, so I am hoping that I won't be up all night fine tuning the temp.

Wish me luck.

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Stabilize your egg approx. 250, wrap your platesetter with foil, legs up, put it on the grid above the platesetter and cook it till 200 internal.  If you want to accelerate the time, double wrap it in HDAF after about six hours.  Easy Peasy and a butt is the most forgiving cut you can cook.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    You can't screw it up. It's a pork butt!
    NW IOWA
  • r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Ditto what Rusty said. Enjoy, and take a photo.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I would suggest planning on getting done a couple of hours early. You can always FTC if done early. If not, no problem. All butts are different, but at that temp I would allow for 2 hours per lb. you can always bump up the temp to shorten the cook time.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Its my first time doing a butt tonight too.....sounds odd lol

To kind of keep on subject without starting a new discussion, can the butt go straight from the fridge to the Egg or does it need to be room temp...or sit out for like an hour?

Thanks 
    Large Egg
    Atlanta
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Like all have said, no worries! I have done mine with egg temp flying all over as I learned, and 235F all day and turbo 280F for 8-9 hours. Every time was delicious if internal pork hit 200F. Yum!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • jeffgrice
    jeffgrice Posts: 7
    So far so good. The temperature alarm woke me up at 4am, so I had to get up and open the lower vent a little more to bring the temperature back up. The meat has been on now for nearly 9 hours and it is sitting at 182*. I'm thinking of increasing the dome temp to speed thing up now.