Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Pineapple Cook Suggestions/Advice?

QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
My daughter wants me to try this soon.  Any suggestions for rubs, cook times, indirect vs. direct, ...?  Thanks in advance!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited July 2014

Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head is the hands down winner for use on grilled pineapple.  I soak mine in dark rum w/golden brown sugar for a half hour before grilling.  Direct at 400, 4-5 minutes on each side.  Big yum!!!  Miss Lisa (aka GFU) is on a diet; the lighter slices in front left have not been rum soaked.  Still very tasty. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    IMO direct, you're aiming for grill marks and carmelization, internal temp doesn't matter.  The rubs can be as simple as quick sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar, or dizzypig pineapple head, or all the way to overnight marinade of butter, rum, brown sugar, cayenne, etc. Google on grilled pineapple recipe for ideas.
    canuckland
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367

A friend of mine brought one over once to throw on the grill for dessert after we ate - it was already seasoned/marinated when she brought it, so I'm not 100% sure what everything in/on it was...

but this one I found online sounds pretty close (we grilled the pineapple in big lengthwise halves, not rings).  Damn was it tasty:

Add some vanilla iced cream and done

Original recipe makes 8 slices

Makes servings Adjust Recipe (Help)
    •                 
    •                 
    •                 
    •                 
    •                 
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves                                                    

ADVERTISEMENT

Directions

1. Peel the pineapple and, leaving it whole, cut out the center core. Slice into 8 rings, and place them in a shallow glass dish or resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, mix together the rum, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Pour marinade over the pineapple, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
    2. Preheat grill for high heat. Lightly oil grate.
    3. Grill pineapple rings 15 minutes, turning once, or until outside is dry and char marked. Serve with remaining marinade.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head is great.  It has become a staple at our home this summer.  Just slice pineapple, dust with Pineapple Head and grill direct for a few minutes per side to you get a little carmelization. 

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• jshillin
    jshillin Posts: 42
    I just did it for the first time yesterday and it was great.  Bought a fresh pineapple, pealed & sliced it.  Seasoned with Pineapple head, cooked direct at over 500 degrees until I had a good sear.  I only had it that hot because I just finished making smash burgers on a cast iron griddle.  I did put a few on the griddle and it worked just as well, gave an even char instead of grill marks though.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like to eat the centers out of the pineapple slices.

Marinade in apple pie moonshine overnight and then season with Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head.  Grill direct

best ever

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    erniemcclain - what was in the rub that we used at Cattleman's on the Pineapple?
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Soak in rub and coat with DP pineapple or brown sugar/cayenne pepper

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    +1. did this for the first time yesterday.  Sprinkled with Pineapple Head, then direct grill until marked.  Fantastic!

Kemah, TX
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Tomorrow, for the 4th cookout, will have an appetizer of grilled bacon wrapped pineapple.

but will be using Pineapple Head.
    Kemah, TX