Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are your thoughts on YETI coolers???

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hear hear!  The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat, provided that the maxis of the axis, and the gravity of the cavity, remain constant.
    Options
    Hear hear!  The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat, provided that the maxis of the axis, and the gravity of the cavity, remain constant.
    That's exactly what I was saying. I think.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    tksmoke said:

Costco has the pelican 95 for $279 delivered. It weighs a scant 55 lbs!!!

I grabbed a 65 for 200. It's the best.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    I grabbed a 65 too two days ago from Costco @ $139 CAD!  
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    they must be good, all the elver fishermen in maine have them to keep the baby eels alive. about a hundred fisherman bringing in about 40,000,000 dollars cash worth in just a few weeks
    :)) you would want those puppies cold and alive
    :D  save the igloos and colemans for the beer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    We bought a Roadie for my future son-in-law to celebrate his Navy Wings of Gold Ceremony.

He took the Yeti and my Daughter to San Diego - haven't seen either since  [-(

The wedding is next May! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• cottonseed
    Options
    Get a K2. thats what most people who actually kill and catch things are goin with.

go with their scratch and dent clearance coolers if you really want to save some $.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • BamaBrad
    Options
    Brute Outdoors also makes a great cooler.  A little less expensive, but more importantly, they are made in the USA, in Texas to be specific.  Yeti is made in the Philippines.  Made in the USA is important to me.  

Here is a promo code link to get a $15 discount.  http://bruteoutdoors.refr.cc/KZV6ZRR

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I have two yeti's and love them both.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Reading this post helps me understand how the people feel that scoff at the expense of a Vitamix. I can't imagine ever spending so much money on a cooler when my 10 year old Igloo Ice Cube does everything I need it to do. I mean - yeah I get it - your $400 cooler saves you a bag of ice every two days.
    When your two or more days away from anywhere you can buy ice, the yeti (or a comparable cooler) turns into a pretty wise choice.  oh and I have a vitamix too....  :>
    Rowlett, Texas
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited August 2014
    Options
    BamaBrad said:
    Brute Outdoors also makes a great cooler.  A little less expensive, but more importantly, they are made in the USA, in Texas to be specific.  Yeti is made in the Philippines.  Made in the USA is important to me.  

I can't speak to where ALL Yeti coolers are made but I can say that they are not all made in the Philippines. My neighbor owns a plastics manufacturing company that builds coolers for Yeti right here in Minnesota. 

Edit: His factory that makes coolers for Yeti is located in Iowa. His company has several locations - my mistake.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    I love my yeti, well built, works as advertized made. Most of all it is made from food grade materials and is dry-ice compatible. The food grade is important if you plan on putting things in that will require it to washed later.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Well first the tumblers now this. Mickey I'm not stalking you with the mini and now yeti roadie.

Craigslist $150 not used but from then factory with a very minor color blemish on top. Guy had several seconds he was selling
    I figured worth it.
    Missing the Yeti plate on the front but.my tumbler came with a sticker :D

Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Well first the tumblers now this. Mickey I'm not stalking you with the mini and now yeti roadie. Craigslist $150 not used but from then factory with a very minor color blemish on top. Guy had several seconds he was selling I figured worth it. Missing the Yeti plate on the front but.my tumbler came with a sticker :Dimage

I pulled the handle off and like it much better.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Nice nice mix packed in for first use on lake washington today. These extras make things a bit more fun

:Dimage
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Yep yeti season, had a good weekend with this. 20% off helped. Its pretty solid.,
    Seattle, WA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Well first the tumblers now this. Mickey I'm not stalking you with the mini and now yeti roadie. Craigslist $150 not used but from then factory with a very minor color blemish on top. Guy had several seconds he was selling I figured worth it. Missing the Yeti plate on the front but.my tumbler came with a sticker :Dimage
    It's missing the foam on the handle as well. I wonder if it's a knock off. 
  • SkinnyV
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nah, I've seen em in the store its not a plate just a sticker as well. Yeah no foam , I need to mod it. It has a S engraved , yeti stamps em to make sure they are not sold new Its performed very well. Hindsight though 20% off like the hopper and I'd buy new I just had the itch when I saw it online.
    Seattle, WA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I don’t have to worry about keeping bears out of my cooler or dropping my cooler out of the back of a C-130 so the Coleman is fine for me too:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-hard-cooler/
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I'll stick with my Yetis. You get what you pay for...
    GWN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    my thoughts are the more you pay for a cooler the worse it smells when you forget to empty out the bait fish =) my engal smells so bad right now and its been bleached twice, soap and water a half dozen times, left open outside in the sun for a week, and it could still gag a maggot. do those gaskets soak in smells, can they be replaced
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    I love my Yeti, as much for the durability and ice retention, as I do because it is made from food grade plastics.  This trait makes it easier to clean when you leave your bait as some do from time to time....
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I have the new Yeti Tank 45 and am very impressed so far.
    McKinney, TX
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    I got a Yeti 65 for my birthday in January, and I've  found it's much better on FTC than what I saw on my Coleman coolers.  We were in Academy this weekend and my wife said it would probably be better to buy a Roadie for when I FTC for work (it's the more appropriate size for what I take).  I just couldn't make myself disagree with her...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    No self respecting egger should be without one. Started my Memorial Day Weekend on Thursday, I still have ice as of this evening. I had several, nothing I have had before is even close, including the " good as brands",
    That is all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Are they the most expensive?  Yes.  Do they keep your stuff cooler (or hotter) longer than other high end coolers?   No.  Do they say "Yeti" on them in giant letters?   YES.   They are the premier name brand,  the Nike of coolers.   
    Options
    I looked at one a while back just to see what made them so pricey. I noticed that the holding capacity was really small for the money. I also noticed the walls were super thick which would explain the holding capacity.  

Personally, I do not have a need for a cooler to hold ice for long periods of time so my Coleman or Igloos work fine for me.  

For the few times I need a cooler for drinks while camping, I am usually not to far from a store that sells ice so I cannot justify buying one.  If I did, I would be afraid of somebody stealing it when I was not around. I guess to prevent that would be to spray paint my name on it. This has helped in the past when neighboring campers borrow something in the night without asking. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    "I looked at one a while back just to see what made them so pricey. I noticed that the holding capacity was really small for the money. I also noticed the walls were super thick which would explain the holding capacity.

Personally, I do not have a need for a cooler to hold ice for long periods of time so my Coleman or Igloos work fine for me.

For the few times I need a cooler for drinks while camping, I am usually not to far from a store that sells ice so I cannot justify buying one."

I came to roughly the same conclusion.  But in the time that it took me to reach that conclusion, my wife noticed my interest - so she got me a Yeti 65 for Christmas.  I'm very happy with it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I have the yeti 65 that I use a lot when we are out for comp cooks. I do NOT use it to hold hot food though that is why I have Cambros.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa