Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you transport a large egg???

Options
For those of you that move a large egg from place to place, how do you do it? Do you remove the top? If so does it line back up properly when you bolt it back together. I have a full size pick up truck for transporting the eggs.
I have been asked to help on a BBQ crew. My son in law is asking me to run the crew of 4 guys. Our job would be to grill for 200 teenage guys on 3 different days, in 3 different towns, with a days travel in between each cook.
When he was asking me if I would help, I threw out the idea of bringing my large and small eggs along, to help with the meals, (should I accept the mission hehe.)His plan was to do burgers, for all 3 meals. I am suggesting doing some burgers (I guess on the gassers) but do some pulled pork on the eggs. Hence the question about transporting the large. Never grilled for that many people before. Kind of sounds like fun. Any other ideas for food would be appreciated too.
Thanks in advance.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    Sorry, I can't be of help. I have an extra large and never move i. However, it sounds like a lot of fun and probably for a good cause. Good Luck.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @Holepuncher, thanks. It is kind of exciting to think about. Should be fun. Just hope i can somehow pull it off.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    Timage
    The only times that I have moved mine (from dealer to home and from old house to new house) I took everything on the inside out and set it in the back of my van. I would think if you have a truck there would be no need to take the lid off.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Dammifino!  It does sound like fun, good luck!!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    A dolley, loading ramps, lots of padding and tie downs.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Is your egg in a nest or table? If in a nest, be careful when you roll it, pull it -  don't push it. Search Amazon for the PotLifter, as it will make it much  easier for 2 people to move an egg.

Wrap the innards in a couple of towels or moving blankets so they don't bounce during transport. Place a tie around the top of the lid, through the handle, and vertically around the base so that the lid doesn't bang around.

Sounds like you're going to have some fun!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @caulking no need to take the lid off???
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Move mine fromTx to FL on vacation with no problem. Have ramps help but can be done w/o.
    I leave in the Nests (also have Handlers on both that help a lot). For the 800 mile trip on the bed of truck I pull guts and slide in cardboard and replace guts. I bungee cord the top so it can't bounce and away I go. Now for across town just get @henapple to ride in back with 5 or 6 Larges and don't go crap to them (that works for our party each year).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    IMO you would sure help moving that Large by getting a Handler for it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @caulking no need to take the lid off???
    Nope. I don't think you need to bother with that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Phucty Phyno. But good luck with the gig. Sounds like a blast.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have traveled a few hundred miles with my LBGE once. Did it for Thanksgiving at my parents' house. I padded the guts with cardboard and wrapped it in a moving blanket, then used cargo straps to tie it down. Worked great as long as there is someone to help lift and move it. The hardest part was getting it out of my table and then putting it back in when I got home. Sounds like a fun adventure.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Can you get it into the passenger seat, then just secure with the seat belt....Obviously I am joking because I don't have a clue how to transport it..Good luck..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I am planning on moving mine today as well.  I am only moving it about 5 miles though, but here is my plan.  I will be using the new model Explorer to move it.  Remove guts from the inside.  Pull egg out of nest.  Sit in back of Explorer with egg and hold on like it's my precious.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i just drive it there
    :D across the lake or into the trailer

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Or, depending on how far away the towns are...  Do the butts at home, FTC and drive the butts to the party.  I know it wouldn't have the elephant of adventure, but much easier to lift...
    Santa Paula, CA