Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help Needed

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
So SWMBO and I are attending a party that will have 150-200 people. I am bringing two packers, as well as some smoked Mac & Cheese, and pulled pork. I had rubbed the packers with Oak Ridge Black Ops on Thursday night, wrapped in plastic, and let things get happy overnight. Threw both on the XL last night at 10:30 PM over some hickory chips at 250 degrees. Just got up and went outside, temp had climbed to 300. AARRRRRRGGGHHHHHH! Both packers are at about 205 degrees IT and buttery soft when probed. Party doesn't kick off till 2:00 PM. Can I FTC for that long! or should I allow them to cool and then use the foodsaver and reheat in a warm water bath? Thanks.
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Just FTC. You will be totally fine.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I FTC'd for 11 hrs last time.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Thanks Travis. Can't figure out why the temp climbed 50 degrees.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Wrap and in the cooler your golden
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    travisstrick,  11 hours? Dang, thats impressive. I have FTC's for a good 3 or 4 hours but never that long. However, that is really good to know.

CTMike, Mine jumped about 50 degrees last night as well. I think it made the jump after about 5 or 6 hours... Other than speeding up the cook by a few hours or so, I think our finished products should be just fine.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @ctmike and @mcmac, did either of you use a water pan for your cooks?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    No water pan, nor did I foil. However, I probably should have. When my temp rose (while I was sleeping) I think I overshot my target temp and the flat was a bit more dry than I perfer. The burnt ends however... were really good.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Hopefully it went okay. You posted this 12 hours ago.

I was thinking about this earlier and was wondering if some hot bricks would buy you a few hours.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited June 2014
    @CTMike‌ - how did it ago? I was in almost the same predicament a few weeks ago. What grade of brisket were you cooking? I learned that apparently prime brisket cook much quicker than choice. I put mine in the oven to hold, but if it happens again, I will just FTC as others have already mentioned.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @caliking-I don't have many data points from the higher end briskets but the ones I have wrestled with do finish at a lower temperature than what I'm used to with Choice or CAB.  More marbling/fat content will do that-and that's prime and a one-off SRF treat!  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.