Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

potato salad

Options
  cant believe ive never made potato salad before

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Scrumptious. Do you add boiled eggs to yours?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Scrumptious. Do you add boiled eggs to yours?
    this one was mayo,mustard, vinegar, celery, onion, some spice, and bacon. this weekend will have some eggs as well. its odd, theres always potatoes at camp and ive never thought to make it
    fukahwee maine

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Black olives and shredded cheddar
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options

henapple said:
    Black olives and shredded cheddar
    sounds good, i need to make a list of things to try in it, im usually good at repeating the dish weekly til i get it right, then never making it again.
    :)) theres capers up there, homemade pickled fiddleheads, parsely and thyme, lots to try
    fukahwee maine

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options

I really like to substitute miracle whip for the mayo - gives it a great added 'zip'

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Green olives and pimentos are da bomb in potato salad. 
    Options
    the lebanese places near me have tons of different olives to try, which also gives me the idea to add some labneh to it(real greek yogurt, real in the sense that it was probably made in lebanon, close enough
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I can't say I've NEVER made it, but I think I can count the times on, umm, 1 finger.  :D I love a good potato salad though and am sorta half assedly looking for a good recipe. Just found this one the other day. Went to Google Images, searched for potato salad and clicked on one I thought looked good. And the winner was...

Haven't made it yet, but it looks promising. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    @Carolina_Q:  Did it come with a recipe?  That looks just like what I like.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    Options
    To make it purty. ..line a bowl with lettuce, fill with the salad and line the edge with cherry tomatoes. ..maybe a little paprika.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @Carolina_Q:  Thanks for the recipe!  I'm having a large party here on the 4th, and think that might be just the ticket....and I'll decorate it as @henapple suggested.  Nice idea, henapple!  (Sure hope you make it back to Salado next year.  Tons o' fun!)
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    By the way, your potato salad looks fantastic in your picture, @fishlessman.  Looks like you nailed it first time out of the shoot!
    Kelley 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Geek tip alert!!!  (whoooop whoooop whooooop)

Right click on the image and select "search google with this image".  You'll get another search page, and lo and behold, in this case, the recipe is found.
    Options
    I have no such "search google..." option.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Micheal, I'm using FireFox with a Mac.  It's a FireFox feature, but probably an equivalent in Chrome.  You can also copy the url to the picture and paste it into google image search. 
    Options
    Micheal, I'm using FireFox with a Mac.  It's a FireFox feature, but probably an equivalent in Chrome.  You can also copy the url to the picture and paste it into google image search. 
    In Chrome, just right click on the image and select "search google for this image" from the list.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I mostly use safari. haven't tried FF, almost never even open chrome. 

It's okay though. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    Options
    We're talking potato salad. ..not geek crap.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I like to make warm German Potato Salad for potlucks. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    We make this one quite a bit

Lemon Cilantro Potato Salad

• 3-4 lbs potatoes, both purple and red
    • 4 garlic scapes, chopped
    • 1 large vidalia onion, finely chopped
    • 1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
    • Lemon zest, from 2 lemons
    • 4 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon, dijon mustard
    • 6 pours, olive oil (about 6 tablespoons)
    • Salt and pepper to taste

http://www.eatboutique.com/2008/07/05/lemon-cilantro-potato-salad/#.U63xf7GTG8A

Nice change up from mayo based potato salad

Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @fishlessman‌
    I was so mesmerized by the ribs I didn't even notice the potato salad! ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.