Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Underrated

MJH
MJH Posts: 102
Based upon reading what people post about on here, you'd think that nobody ever just smokes up a mess of dry-rubbed chicken thighs (pecan chips). If you aren't doing that at least three times a month, you are doing it wrong.

I post this for the benefit of newbies who might be a bit intimidated and confused.

RECIPE

Mess of chicken thighs
Your fave dry rub
Pecan wood chips

Indirect @ 350ish
Abt an hour or so

Everybody loves it and is happy.

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    That or drumsticks. Fave around here.
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Or both. So cheap, so easy, so damn good, and don't nobody don't love 'em.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Every time I look at chicken parts, I end up just getting a whole chicken.
    NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Sorry call me frugal or cheap but buying a whole fryer for $1.69# is the way I roll. Unless I'm specifically doing wangs or drums. I love thick juicy thighs but, don't like paying extra $ for them.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @NPHuskerFL - The best deal is to buy the 10lb bag of chicken leg quarters.  They're usually on sale for $0.50-0.70/lb.
    @nolaegghead‌ my problem is the wife prefers the breast due to her dietary lifestyle (as does my Mother). I love a juicy thigh. But, unless I buy bulk then not a good buy. You do make a valid point. I wonder if Sams sells wangs or drums like that (I've never looked). Either way the Wife loves my Spatchcock & I aim to please ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thighs are my favorite.  There's nothing wrong with a little fat though.  You can wipe the fat pockets out of a thigh pretty quick. I think the dark meat has more flavor, although I've had a taste of heaven with the SV and CI pan chicken breasts - cooked to lower temps.
    Sorry call me frugal or cheap but buying a whole fryer for $1.69# is the way I roll. Unless I'm specifically doing wangs or drums. I love thick juicy thighs but, don't like paying extra $ for them.
    I really don't like breast meat, so for me, paying for 1/2 a bird I don't want to eat is a waste of money.
    I can get just drumsticks for $1.18 lb, and I forget how much thighs go for, but it's still under $2 #
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.