Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry flats

Options
GQuiz
GQuiz Posts: 701
Cooked 3 12lb briskets on my XL for an office BBQ. Put them over 2 water pans. I have an IQ-110 pit controller. Kept the temp at 246 for 10 hours before lifting the lid. The meat stalled at 190. I pulled at 205. In the end, the point was otherworldly. But the flats were dry. My last two cooks with the controller produced dry flats. I've never had that problem before. Do I need to rotate the briskest during the cook? Thoughts?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    I've never gone to 205 personally. i usually pull mine by 195, and the flats have been fine. That said, i cook briskets for the point. Very little of the flat ever gets mowed down like the point. I vacuum the leftover flat and save it for chili. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Unlike cooking a steak to a certain likeness, rare, medium rare and such, a brisket is done when it's done. Done for a brisket means tender...not a temp degree. When it's probe tender it's done.
    You are also dealing with two cuts of meat when you are cooking a full packer. Flat is almost always done first. That said if your point was perfect, good chance your flat was over cooked. 
    Some even separate the two before cooking but I think most will separate when flat is done and then continue cooking the point. Not a pit controller issue but always a chance they were just not a great brisket to start with. It happens.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Probe the flat for doneness which is usually 190℉-205℉. When Thermapen or temp probe slides in and out of the flat with little to no resistance your set. It's important to remember each brisky is different and time, temp etc is not gong to be the same every time.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GQuiz
    Options
    That all being said, the Maverick probe was in the point. Think I oughta stick it in the flat instead?

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    GQuiz said:

That all being said, the Maverick probe was in the point. Think I oughta stick it in the flat instead?

Yes, you want it in the thickest portion of the flat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    If you were monitoring the point, it will run around 10*F or more hotter than the flat due to the higher fat content.  As mentioned above the key is probing the thickest part of the flat.  If 205*F in the point then it is quite likely that the flat wasn't quite finished. Obviously just an opinion...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GQuiz
    Options
    @lousubcap It's a highly regarded opinion. Thanks. I'm just happy I don't have to try to rotate briskets during the cook.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    "If 205*F in the point then it is quite likely that the flat wasn't quite finished."

I would agree if he was having an issue with tenderness. His issue was Flat was dry.
    Cooking a Flat longer, to a higher temp, is not going to add moisture.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You will almost never screw up the point. Start probing the flat once it hits 195 or so and pull it when it probes like butter. I use an old ice pick to test for doneness. And let it rest FTC for an hour minimum.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GQuiz
    Options
    I FTC'd for four. The Pelican let steam out when I first opened it. In fact, when I sliced the first brisket, internal temp was still 165. I'll put the Maverick in the thickest part of the flat next time.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Cook full packer fat cap down. I think the water and such is not needed, but to each there own. If you want to make sure it is moist, just foil it during the stall. It will steam done sooner and will be like butter. I know, that's cheating.
  • rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    It would be nice to have a thread that contains a " Lexicon of Acronyms" that members, old and new, could refer to for clarity without having to always ask for help......dykwim? LOL.....heeheehee !!!
    Berlin, Maryland