Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

29 Down, How Many More to Go, I Don't Know!

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
Today marks 29 years with the same company and I am wondering how many more I will be there. I've done a lot of different things over the year's for them, currently I'm working in our Telecommunications Division and working on the Google Fiber project in Kansas City.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    That's a long time with one company. Congrats, that doesn't happen too often.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Congrats. This October will be 28 years for me. Company has changed hands numerous times over the years, but there are still a few of us dinosaurs left.
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Congrats, I'm only 8 years in, actually only 4, 4 additional prior to our company being acquired by current company, and there are many with less tenure. Having a career with a single company is rather rare anymore...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Wow! :-bd That's great! Congratulations.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    25 @ my job. Funny how fast times flies. I started when I was 26, figured I'd stick around a year or so then open up my own shop. Then a funny thing happened. I blinked and I was 52.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I'm 16 months in... 29 years to go. I wanted to work for this company many years ago, finally got hired and I love my job.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I'm on year 24.  Time flies when you're having fun.  I'm turning 50 this year too. 

Reminds me, I need to apply for my AARP membership.
    Options
    @nola-no action required for AARP-the day I turned 50, in the mail was the AARP membership material.  And that was before computers :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HAWKCARL
    HAWKCARL Posts: 63
    Options

Year 13 for me, not bad considering I'm 36 I guess.

I am ready to move on though....just gotta find the right opportunity.

• HAWKCARL
    HAWKCARL Posts: 63
    Options

Oh, and the right opportunity is to find a few investors to open my own business.

I want a old fashioned butcher shop that also specializes in craft beers. Maybe even look into becoming a BGE distributor.

• bigdaddydivo
    Options
    22 years in for me probably 12 or so to go. 

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Year  11 for me, my boss is retiring tomorrow and I've been promoted to his job.  Taking on a lot of responsibility, 19 more to go, I'll be 58.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    July 3 will make 36 years.
    Kemah, TX
  • dougengel
    dougengel Posts: 13
    Options
    Congrats! 22 years for me... to put it in perspective, my son was 3 years old when I started here... he's now 25... time flies when you're having fun!
    Doug E. Charlotte, NC Cyclist, IPA fan, World Traveler
  • matthethamm
    Options
    Been working 28 years now (holy crap!).  I am on my 9th job out of school.  I am a project manager, and am getting experience in many different industries. I am also getting fairly good at job searches (sometimes not by choice).  And I am seeing many parts of the country.
    I keep plugging along.
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Unfortunately in my line of work you have to jump ship after some time to gain more experience for he next jump up. Most of my tenures have been around the 3 year mark. This August will be 9 years with the same company. I opened up one building 9 years ago and assisted on the design of the one I have been currently in for the last 3. 15 years until full pension and retirement at a ripe age of 57.
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    Congrats! September will mark the 9th year I will be with my company!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • vapilotda
    vapilotda Posts: 22
    Options
    That's a great thing and rare these days. I'm in the aviation industry and it scares me as nobody lasts very long here.
    large and XL BGE in Richmond, VA
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options

Congrats!!! 23 years for me...

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I've been at my current job for 5 years and often get the itch to move on. This is the longest I've ever stayed in one spot/position in my entire life. I couldn't even imagine staying at one job for as long as some of you. I did retire from the Army and although I worked for Uncle Sugar, I moved and changed jobs every 2-4 years. My wife says my job switching and moving all over the place are done.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    jllbms said:
    July 3 will make 36 years.

Now that's impressive. I want to keep working for my company, but I am not wanting to travel much more and am not sure that will work out in a year or so. I may have to look at other options in a year or so. I have learned a lot and continue to learn new things all the time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.