Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Losing my grandma.

Worst day if my life was today,just found out my grandmother has a very aggressive leukemia that had spread to her lungs and she only has days to live:(
I'm spending the night at the hospital with her and it's almost unbearable.I was very close to my nan growing up because I lived with her. Sorry about bringing it up here but you eggheads are like good friends to me,gonna be a rough few days:(((

Jamie

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    So sorry for your troubles. Losing a loved one is always difficult. Think of the good times you had with her. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @CANMAN1976‌
    Brother I'm truly sadden to hear that. And please do not hate to bring it up here. You are a well respected member of the forum family and you can bring up anything that you want to bring up. I wish there was something I could do to help my friend. May God bless y'all and see y'all thru this terrible time.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    So sorry to hear that Jamie, she's lucky to be surrounded by loved ones, hope she departs peacefully. Take care my friend.
    canuckland
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    So sorry to hear. Try to talk about all your happy memories. I'm sure it will have you both laughing and crying. I'm sure it will help her to reminisce with you.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Thanks guys,I appreciate the kind words.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Hang in there my friend... These are the toughest times of our lives but I'm sure she feels just as much love towards you as you do her. My prayers are headed your way.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • I'm truly sorry to hear about your Grandma.  I'll pray for her tonight.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @CANMAN1976‌
    You are both deserving of them and more than welcome my friend. I honestly wish that there was something I could do but I know there isn't. I been thru exactly what you are facing. I will include you and your family in my prayers brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Losing a loved one is not a pleasant experience. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this trying time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Praying for your Nan and you. Cherish your private thoughts and memories. God Bless.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Sorry to hear. God be with you.
    Kemah, TX
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Jaimie, words really don't work at times like these, do they? Please know that I am sending thoughts for peace to you and your family. If you lived with your Nan growing up and love her as much as you do, I'm sure you must know that she is a lady. To quote one of my favorite movies, a lady always knows when it's time to leave. {{hugs}}
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Lost mine about a month ago... feel you
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @canman1976 - my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. 4 1/2yrs ago I lost my paternal grandmaw and now I am watching my maternal grandmaw rapidly decrease in her abilities. I understand what you going through. Not any easy task but it sounds like you are doin all the right things. Continue to build all the memories you can because they can be very comforting when you need them.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @Canman1976 - so sorry to hear about this. Do all you can to put a smile on her face as she needs you to carry on her legacy. I'm sure you have warmed her heart many times throughout your lifetime and she is very proud of you. Your family will be in my thoughts an prayers in the days ahead. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    May our dear Lord give you and your family a peace and comfort that can only come from him.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Sorry my brother. I know this pain. God be with you. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Prayers for you and your family... Sudden or expected, losing a loved one sucks...

Hang in there and remember all of good times you shared and the lessons she taught you.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Sorry to hear of this and our thoughts are with you.

Gerhard
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Deepest most heartfelt condolences. We went through immediate onset leukemia with my grandmother. You're in for a long week. Look around that room at the beautiful family your grandmother fought to have in the world- and tell her you love her over and over.

Peace be with you and yours.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Sorry to hear that. I'm sure that your presence during these days will be a great comfort to her. God Bless!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @CANMAN1976, Sorry to hear. My StepDad and only father I ever knew passed away three weeks ago. I was able to be by his side when they let him come home for his last 48hrs. She will know you are there by her side. Even though it will be the hardest thing for you to do she will appreciate it. Even if they sedate her she can hear anything you have to say and can feel you holding her hand etc. I'm sorry for you going through this hard time.
    Dearborn MI
  • +1 on being by her side. I spent days by my first wife's bedside during her last days on Earth and it was wonderful and gut wrenching at the same time. I wouldn't trade that time for anything!
    Flint, Michigan
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Sorry Jamie, I will keep you family in my thought and prayers.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    +1 on spending as much time as possible with her. I have lost 5 family members in the last three years, two of those were unexpected the rest were battles with one type of cancer or another. It's very difficult to spend that time but as others have said I would trade it for anything! Tell her how much you love her and appreciate the things she did for you. Share your favorite memories with her, hold her hand when she needs it and cry with her when you both need it! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Condolences friend. You are in my prayers. Be well and be strong.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    May you and your entire family have peace.  My condolences to you and yours.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Hang in there Canman. I feel for you. Lost mine 10 years ago and I miss her everyday.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Sudden is a shock on top of the inevitable sorrow. Breath deep now, and if at some point you get a chance to cry, it helps.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    feeling for you. lost my nana a couple months ago after a 15 or so year battle with azheimers, i really hope not to go like that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it