Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Reverse Sear: Ribeyes

Options
xiphoid007
xiphoid007 Posts: 536
I've been wanting to try a reverse sear, what better way than with some nice 1.5 in thick ribeyes. I used Mickey's coffee rub as I've heard a lot of folks use it on steak.

Did some sweet potatoes first and finished in the oven while the steaks cooked.

250 to an internal of 115 then pulled and rested while I fired up the turbines on the jet engine. I left my looftlightr out just for this. Got the flames rolling quickly and was up to 700 in no time. Only did about 45 sec a side as any longer would've burned.

My, oh my. This is the way steak should taste! Absolutely perfect med rare. Finished pics are below with my lunch made already. Did up a little grilled zucchini too with some carrots. Sweet potatoes were gone. Dressed with a little butter, brown sugar, and cinammon and they almost went faster than the steaks!

imageimage
Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @xiphoid007‌
    Brother that is one fine looking meal right there. Those steaks are incredible looking. Excellent job my friend!
    =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
    Very nice vegetables and plating as well!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    That looks GREAT!!!  I'd eat that any day (or night).
    Santa Paula, CA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @tksmoke‌ I'm with you man! Even in my insomniac state I'd hit that! Damn fine looking steaks @xiphoid007‌ ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    All looks Fantastic..Well done..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Looks great, nice job.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Reverse sear is the best!
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    No question... Reverse sear is the proper way to cook a steak! I roast mine on the 18" grate resting on the top of the fire ring, no plate setter, until it reaches 105 degrees. Then I pull the steak off and remove the 18" grate and place the steak down low to the grill extender that rests right on top of the firebox... 1" above the red hot flames of the lump coal. I sear the crust and enjoy...
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Don't know how I missed this thread when it first posted. All I can say is =D> =D> =D>
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks fantastic. Makes me want to eat red meat again!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    After this I'll never cook a steak any different. You get about 99% of the steak the perfect medium rare that you want in a steak (normally only about the central 20%) and the last 1% is seared perfection.

I have to say, though, while mickeys rub was very good, I think I'm a plain salt and pepper, or just plain salt guy, on my steaks. I prefer to compliment my steaks with excellent fresh veggies and tasty sides, but let the meat speak for itself.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Awesome cook, very nice. ^:)^
  • JRWesco
    JRWesco Posts: 57
    Options
    Looks awesome , gonna try a reverse sear now!! Thanks for posting!
  • xiphoid007
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @JRWesco‌ if you love med rare beef, you'll never go back. This was beyond easy. I'm a reasonably seasoned cook and a novice to amateur on the BGE, and this was easier than anything I've attempted.

I actually did this with burgers before too by accident because the meat was still partially frozen. Beat burgers I ever made!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • davidcure3
    Options
    Those look phenomenal.  About how long does it take at 250 to get the internal of 115?
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Great cook! I'm a huge fan of reverse searing thick steaks as well.....
    GWN
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    Very Nice =D>

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Those look phenomenal.  About how long does it take at 250 to get the internal of 115?

15-20 minutes depending on thickness.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Agree with @Eggcelsior‌ on time. I put a probe in the deepest part of the thickest steak.

Steaks came off, I stoked the fire with the looftlighter, and steaks back on for 45 sec top per side. This part went fast! Keep the top open for this or you'll go from browned to burnt!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • beemrider
    beemrider Posts: 23
    Options
    Beautiful looking steaks. Love the fact that they're med-rare across the full thickness except for the sear. I'm a new egg owner and just joined this forum. Please forgive me if this is answered elsewhere but did you close the lid during the sear?

Large BGE, Looftlighter

Komoka, Ontario, Canada

"You should see what I've seen with your eyes" - Roy Batty, Bladerunner

• xiphoid007
    Options
    @beemrider‌ I did not close the lid for he sear. As I'm sure you've heard the infamous BGE mantra "if you're looking you're not cooking" this is one instance where it does not apply. I got my fire raging to 700 deg for the sear and at that temp I'll be making charcoal instead of steaks real fast! So I kept the top up for this part.

Glad to have you aboard! There are a lot of great folks on this forum who enjoy helping others out, so feel free to search for questions, or simply post them.

Make sure is you post your cooks, another saying rings true, if you don't post pics, it didn't happen!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    A great combo for the sear is a spider with a small grid. It gets right down to the coals.
    Kemah, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    jllbms said:

A great combo for the sear is a spider with a small grid. It gets right down to the coals.

Or a spider with a CI griddle. This can also be your heat deflector during the roast phase if its large enough. Makes it really easy as you don't need to pull your plate setter.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-spider.html
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    I used the AR combo. I just pulled the whole rig when I hit temp and threw the grate on the fire ring once I got the coals screaming with the looftlighter. Worked pretty well.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    Those rib eyes look stupid GOOD!  I plan to try this with some cowboy rib eyes from Central Market.  I plan to do the sear directly on the coals for the primal scream...
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • royvol3
    Options
    i would like to try this, could someone post the reverse sear method with detail since i am a new egg owner? thanks
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Hell yes man. nothing wrong with that.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Tennisjon
    Options
    Is the first part of the reverse direct or indirect?
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    1st is indirect till internal temp is where you want it. Op cooked at 250 indirect till it was 115 then cranked grill up 700ish and direct for 45 secs each side.