Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Dumplings!

DTEgg
DTEgg Posts: 93
So SWMBO and I were getting the munchies about 9:00 last night and I had seen this on the forum earlier:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/02/apple_dumplings/.  
We checked and had what we needed, but our crescent rolls were the larger, Pillsbury Grands! Crescent Big and Buttery type.  So I started up the egg and she started prepping the dumplings. We used Honeycrisp apples (awesome flavor) sliced into 8 slices and put two slices per crescent roll dough rather than one as the recipe says since the grands are larger.  Used a 9x13 pan and only one package pretty much filled it up. 

Only used half a can of Mountain Dew, but all the sugar (it is possible I have a bit of a sweet tooth).  Slid the pan onto the egg indirect at about 350.  Temp moved a little bit, got up to about 370 for a bit, but no harm.  Took about an hour to get nice and golden brown, the longer time may have been due to her fancy double wall baking pan, but oh, man do I have a new favorite!  These things are little dough covered pieces of heaven on a plate!  So there we were, eating dessert at 11:00 watching the news, note 2 are missing from the pan!  These are simple to make and the flavor is off the charts!  I can testify that they warm up very well the next morning for breakfast!! Gotta try with peaches now!
imageimage
LBGE

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    They sound delicious. How long do you need to let them cool before eating them or do you just dive right in?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Tex-
    The sugar and butter sauce is pretty hot, but once on  plate they cool off like most pies, etc.  A large scoop of ice cream would allow you to start eating even faster!  :)
    LBGE
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Those look great. Not a low cal desert I would guess.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    tulocay-
    Uh, no.  Sorry, but soooooo worth the calories! Besides, they have fruit it them, so that makes them healthy!
    LBGE