Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Veal Chops

Options
TexanOfTheNorth
TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
Did a couple of veal chops for dinner last night. These came from the Buthcer's Son and were PDG!

Just used a little S&P then cooked them indirect at 350* dome for about 20 minutes to get the IT up to 115*. Gave them 1 1/2 minutes per side on my CI griddle (with a little butter) to finish them off. Served with some mushrooms sauteed in a little butter and red wine along with some roasted potatoes and salad. Did not get a pic to show doneness but they were a beautiful medium rare.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Oh my god! Those look awesome. Last time I had a veal chop was at Del Friscos down here and I was crying with every bite.

I need to do some up soon.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Hay buddy, I have never tried them. Is there a lot of taste dif ?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Hay buddy, I have never tried them. Is there a lot of taste dif ?
    @Mickey, taste difference with what?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Veal chop
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Guess I did not understand your question. Thought you meant difference? They were very tasty; well marbled and tender.
    Options
    That looks great !
    tell me about that ci pan though ... where did it come from ? ?
    Toronto
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Nice, haven't visited the Butcher's Son yet, do you need to preorder? Curious about your CI griddle too, do I see fire through it? not that I need it since I've got two pieces of 44W (A36 equivalent) from a metal place in scarburia. 
    canuckland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    The griddle is an old one that I picked up (can't remember when or where) that was designed for a Coleman gasser.

@Canugghead, the fire was from the pats of butter that I'd put on the chops for searing.

No need to pre-order for the Buthcer's Son unless you want some of their specialty meat (e.g., ostrich) or have a specific item or two that you're looking to get. We just went in and picked from what they had in the display counter. Tried to get as close to $200 as we could and actually came up to $199.60 something. The girl told us to take a couple of biscotti's which took our total to $200.29. She did not ask for the extra .29.
    Options
    Thanks, good to know. I was thinking of doing what you did.  Wow, that griddle was hot!
    canuckland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Thanks, good to know. I was thinking of doing what you did.  Wow, that griddle was hot!
    It sat under the plate setter during the indirect so, did not take long to ramp up.
    Options
    Nice looking chops, will have to try that.  Thanks!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Cool! I still have my voucher...yeah baby!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    Looks excellent to say the least! A rare veal chop is hard to beat. Nicely done. =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Cool! I still have my voucher...yeah baby!
    Better make sure we don't go on the same day!
    canuckland
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I bought a couple pork chop loins from that place and they were some of the nicest I had .

Toronto
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Great looking chops John!  I think a frenched chop is awesome!
    Flint, Michigan