Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyway to extend the stall? ;)

Options
Greetings friends!

We don't want to eat this brisket for another 16 hours. ... It went waaaaay faster to the stall than we were expecting..... ....

Water spritz to encourage the evaporative cooling effect? Take it off now and turbo for two hours tomorrow? Turbo now, eat brisket at midnight, and then turbo a pork butt?? YOU MAKE THE CALL!!!!

We have a Guru. It doesn't want to hold a lower than 225* temp...
Thanks!

Happy weekending!
8-Damien
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What size is the brisket and what's the internal temp right now?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What temp is the Egg? What temp is the brisket? How big is it?
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Be calm and carry on at 225F.  Then FTC with a few hot bricks.  You can hold FTC for 10 hours, longer if you have a Pelican cooler and you can always throw it in the oven and extend that.  Just leave it in the foil and don't open or cut it up until you're ready to eat.
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel‌ how many # brisky and is it a flat or packer? I'm understanding the question to be....how you can make the stall last longer correct?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I have the Engel hotbox at the ready.

Maybe throwing some bricks in there isn't a terrible idea...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options

@MaskedMarvel‌ how many # brisky and is it a flat or packer? I'm understanding the question to be....how you can make the stall last longer correct?

Exactly.

It's a 14 pound packer. Dry aged. A real beauty...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Sorry. Missed a few replies there.

The BGE is set for 225* - the Guru keeps kinda pushing the temp up. Frustrating.

I'm in the stall at 163* on the brisket at two meat probes.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Dry aged?  That will cook faster, but don't worry about it.  Just take it off when it's done, you might have to be up early in the morning, or late at night.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel‌ 14# packer could take 3 hrs or 6 hrs in the stall at 225℉. But, then ya threw in a curve ball...dry aged tends to cook much quicker. So this will likely prove to be unpredictable. Also I've never purchased a dry aged brisky. NY Strip and other steaks yes but, Brisky never even seen one offered.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    If you are wanting to extend the stall you can add a big water pan and drop your temp to 200 with no problem at all. Your color should already be set as well as your smoke profile. This will definitely extend the stall. I can't tell you exactly how long but it will slow things down for sure without hurting anything. Hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Some great knowledge on this thread. I'd listen to them.
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    I could be making that up! ;)

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel‌ you're using two probes. Assuming one is in the point and one in the thickest part of the flat. You want to pull according to the flat. The point can slightly go over the mark and be fine. The flat not so much as it will dry out quickly due to low fat content (that and as you said it's dry aged). Anything dry aged will cook faster.
    Christmas Vacation (8/10) Movie CLIP - Turkey Din…: http://youtu.be/qTwXudZTWQA
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The water pan is a good idea.  It'll be a big evaporative cooler/heat sink.  However, your digiQ will try to compensate for it...i'd do it anyway
    Options
    I just happened to have my
    Maverick in the car so we are monitoring this brisket at multiple locations.

Speaking of which - my friends' Maverick probe crapped out on them. They put it in the dishwasher. Heh.. Maverick is sending replacement probes. Great customer service.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I'll admit it-dry-aged brisket virgin here.  Good info above.  Here I think SRF brisket is $$-I can only imagine a dry-aged hunk of beef.  Not sure how quickly you got to 163*F but it could be a stretch to get into the FTC window.  However, go with the above water-pan and make sure you are driving this cook by the flat-that's where the finish-line indicator will be.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel‌
    I will offer one last trick in case the need arises. If you have not passed 180 internal temp you can pull the brisket and put it in a pan covered with foil then place in a oven between 150-170 degrees for a few hours. Then when ready to resume cooking unpan and place back on the egg. If you are not experienced at looking for skin pull and shrinkage I would not recommend this. However if you are familiar with what you are looking for then this can and will work like a charm. I would rather see you use the massive water pan and temp drop. But the astute chef can use either with excellent results. Good luck my friend

Status- Standing by.

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    We ended up adding water, lowering the grate to 210, and using the ramp feature of the guru. Brisket was pulled off at 195* at about 6:30 this morning for the party at 11:00. Might have had about a ten hour stall there. :)

Thanks so much for the extra time you all took to help. We are go for a five year old's birthday!!!

8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• lousubcap
    Options
    Sounds great-let us know how the eats work out...and don't slice til ready to eat as it can dry out before your eyes.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Well here it is. I didn't get any - had to drive back to NC for work. But reports are the kids at the party and parents really enjoyed it!

Thanks again for all the help gang!

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    No pic. Hmm...image
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• lousubcap
    Options
    Home run...Congrats and thanks for sharing. Go USA!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Wow all that stress..Great result..That looks fantastic..Congrats
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wow, you really dried that out.  :-& Just kidding, that looks amazing!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks like ya did it up real good! Nice job :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Nice, very nice!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel‌ where do you find your briskets locally?
    Greensboro, NC
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

@MaskedMarvel‌ where do you find your briskets locally?

I was getting them through the restaurant, which still isn't a bad deal.

New York Butchershop on Cone seems to have CAB for decent prices. I have a gift certificate there and haven't cashed it in yet. Might have to do that...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Might be worth mentioning - I THINK I can get my friends briskets too. Lemme ask what the deal is with the sous chef. He can be pretty helpful. Sometimes.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE