Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's Coffee Rub Version 1.?

Options
Mross
Mross Posts: 338
What is the latest revision of Mickey's rub recipe. I have searched the threads and and it seems it has been changed in every one I read.

Duncan, SC

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Here you go....Mixed up 16oz of @Mickey coffee rub for tonight. If you haven't tried this... Do. Mickey's Coffee Rub INGREDIENTS: 1/4 cup salt 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup ancho-chili powder 1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Coffee. (Has red,yellow&green label) 1/4 cup garlic powder 1/4 cup ground black pepper Procedure: 1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    What @tulocay said ^
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hmmm... Well, this was just posted and is a current thread trending now. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    tulocay said:
    Here you go....Mixed up 16oz of @Mickey coffee rub for tonight. If you haven't tried this... Do. Mickey's Coffee Rub INGREDIENTS: 1/4 cup salt 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup ancho-chili powder 1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Coffee. (Has red,yellow&green label) 1/4 cup garlic powder 1/4 cup ground black pepper Procedure: 1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container.
    Just went out and got all these spices yesterday. Tried it out on a Ribeye and it was great. Never thought coffee would taste that good. I also applied it on some spares for today so I'm really giving it a test.  <:-P
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    This is the espresso that is commonly used:

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Any coffee ground fine will work.
    NOLA
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Has anyone tried this on fish?

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Scott805 said:

Has anyone tried this on fish?

Have not tried on fish. Have used on turkey, chicken, pork, and family will not eat steaks without it
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fellows can you taste the coffee. I ask because this rub seems to be a big hit but I have avoided trying it only because I can't stand the taste of coffee. Just curious.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fence0407
    Options
    SGH said:
    Fellows can you taste the coffee. I ask because this rub seems to be a big hit but I have avoided trying it only because I can't stand the taste of coffee. Just curious.
    Negative on tasting the coffee. The wife and I cannot stand the taste of coffee and I tried this rub on some chicken breasts last night - we loved it! Give it a shot!
    Cumming, GA  

• Mross
    Options
    Where are folks finding Ancho chile powder in South Carolina?  So far i can't find it at my local grocery stores.
    Duncan, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    @fence0407‌
    Thank you brother. Going to give it a try.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fence0407
    Options
    @Mross - I was able to find it at my local Kroger. But it sounds like that's not the same case where you are. I know some people have found it online, but the name of the website escapes me at the moment. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you.

@SGH - you are quite welcome! 
    Cumming, GA  

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Mross said:
    Where are folks finding Ancho chile powder in South Carolina?  So far i can't find it at my local grocery stores.
    @Mross if you find let me know. I want to make this weekend but bilo and publix did not carry
    Boom
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    You can find ancho at http://www.penzeys.com/

Micky's is wonderful stuff.  The wife has gone to using it on almost everything instead of seasoning salt.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Mross
    Options
    OK. I did not find the powder locally but I did find dried whole chiles in a Mexican grocery in Taylors. I will finish drying and grind my self.
    Duncan, SC
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I am hoping to use tomorrow night so my options seem a bit limited ha
    Boom
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Mross said:
    @Mross if you find let me know. I want to make this weekend but bilo and publix did not carry
    If you are in Charleston, SC, The Williams-Sonoma store carries it.
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/ancho-chili-powder/

359 King Street

Charleston, SC 29401

(843) 805-4051

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    I have made some variations; I like to add a little brown sugar to my pork version
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Spices online at penzeys.com
    Judy in San Diego
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    So I can not find the stuff needed by tomorrow afternoon and no time to order. Thinking about trying this. ANy thoughts whether or not it is a good idea?
    Sriracha Cumin Spice Rub
    The rub is made with lightly toasted ground cumin mixed with dried Barrel-Aged Sriracha pepper flakes
    Ingredients: organic chili peppers, organic garlic, cumin, and sea salt
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Does that sound like it would be a good rub for a brisket? If yes, should I add anything to it? If no I will use something else I have around the house. 
    Boom
  • Mickey
    Options
    SGH said:

No you can not taste it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    Thank you sir. That was the only thing that has kept me from trying it.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    This has been my favorite rub thus far. The flavor combination really accentuates brisket and pork. I haven't tried a Spatchcock with it but, will be soon enough. I use sugar in the raw and I really liked it better vs regular light &/or dark brown sugar. The rub doesn't overpower the natural flavor of the meat. Good stuff.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Agree that you cannot taste the coffee. Excellent on spatchcock.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Used a Dizzy Pig rub last night on a spatchcock (bought all they had based on forum recommendations and was experimenting.) I will not do that again. @Mickey‌ I'm sorry I cheated on you. It won't happen again!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Well no one answered my question, to be fair was off topic for this post, but I am going to try it and mix with brown sugar. See how it goes. 
    Boom
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Well no one answered my question, to be fair was off topic for this post, but I am going to try it and mix with brown sugar. See how it goes. 

The original recipe called for Sugar in the Raw. Correct @Mickey‌ ?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Options

The original recipe called for Sugar in the Raw. Correct @Mickey‌ ?
    Started with sugar in the raw but now I only use brown sugar.