Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Rub for Chicken?

Options
I have found plenty of good rubs for pork and for beef I prefer really basic salt & pepper and light spices.  But I can't seem to find a great rub for chicken.  Some of the pork ones are good but not great.  We cook a lot of boneless skinless breast and even spatchcock and bone-in breast and legs.  Just wanted to see what some of you guys use.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    I really need to try that.  Been to lazy to make it.  Trying to get away from the homemade stuff and get store bought.  But everyone raves about this coffee rub.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    +1 on Mickey's Coffee Rub. I tried last night for the first time and it was very good. Tried it on a Spatchcock chicken. I cut the salt in half and also the ancho chili in half. Very good depth of flavor.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    I for a commercial rub I like Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree and Oakridge Game Bird and Chicken
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Coffee rub is good. This is better... :)

Made it again on Father's day and added 1 tsp of ancho chile powder. Better yet!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Plowboys yardbird.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    MICKEY`S COFFEE RUB! sorry to copy @bettysnephew. But that is the best way to say it. Mickey`s is awesome on chicken!
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    If you want store bought - go with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom or John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I will probably get laughed at...but I picked up some McCormick Montreal Chicken seasoning on sale.  I thought it was pretty darn good!  I have used it on legs and wings so far.  

I am thinking of using it with some EVOO and making a paste a la Carolina Q.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Money rub!!! I'm obsessed with this on wings.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options

These are some good options, keep em coming.

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Dizzy Pig's Tsunami Spin, and Raging River are very good, as well as Mickey's coffee rub.
    GWN
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Dizzy Pid's Tsunami Spin! I have not tried the Wow chicken or Mickey's coffee rub yet.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    Dizzy Pid's Tsunami Spin! I have not tried the Wow chicken or Mickey's coffee rub yet.
    Both are excellent! Do yourself a favor...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I like fresh garlic, rosemary, sage, and S&P.  And some lemon zest.

NOLA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I am trying Mickeys next time but we usually use Texas Chicken Tickler.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Come to think of it, one of my favorites is a brushing of evoo followed by Herbes de Provence and a little s&p. Not a "rub" in the strictest sense I guess, but delicious all the same!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Ok, I give up. Where is the recipe for this coffee rub?
    Dearborn MI
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited June 2014
    Options
    in the search type mickeys coffee rub and click go it is the first one by henapple.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Come to think of it, one of my favorites is a brushing of evoo followed by Herbes de Provence and a little s&p. Not a "rub" in the strictest sense I guess, but delicious all the same!!
    I really like this as well.  I don't have Herbes de Province, but I have a big jar of "Italian Herb Seasoning" that is similar.  I use that quite often. 

I also recently discovered this stuff:

I used it in a recipe for chicken sammies and mixed with mayo (just spread on the bread).  This stuff is really good.  I am going to try simply rubbing it on some chicken.  It already has oil in it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.