Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

here is an excellent read about the stall. its not what most of us thought

Comments

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    I for one love the bark.....no foiling.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Here's another excellent article on the topic.
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    DMW said:
    Here's another excellent article on the topic. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html
    /I see what you did there
    =))
    Pentwater, MI
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    I read the amazing rub article earlier this year after I got APL's book and he talks about wrapping and why he always does it.  This year I have done 1 butt and 1 brisket and wrapped them both at 165.  I then threw them back on 30 minutes before eating at 300 to get the bark a bit firmer.

Two advantages:
    1) Eliminated the overnight cook by shortening the stall
    2) The tenderness and moisture in my cooks is higher and much more consistent 

-Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    That is a really interesting article.   Worth a read.

Thanks.

"Will basting the meat or putting a water pan in the smoker impact the stall? "There is no question extra humidity will slow down the cooking process, whether it comes from a water pan or wet mop." When we baste, whether by mopping, brushing, or spritzing, we cool the meat just by the fact that the liquid is cool. It then sits on the surface and evaporates prolonging the stall. When we put a water pan in the cooker, the moisture evaporates from the surface and raises the humidity in the cooker, slowing the evaporation from the meat, and slowing the cooking. "In low and slow cooking this allows the meat's interior to catch up with the surface temperature" explains Blonder."
    LBGE/Maryland