Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs and Salt-free Dizzy Dust

Options
I smoked a 6 pound butt and some ribs for Father's Day over the weekend for my dad and brother.  I had some regular Dizzy Dust for the butt and started smoking it at around 1am on Saturday.  I knew I wouldn't have enough Dizzy Dust for the ribs and I was going to have to go to Ace Hardware before starting the ribs.  Once I got to Ace, I found that they only had "Salt-free Dizzy Dust."  My mind thought "companies have gotten pretty good at making the diet or salt free things taste pretty much like the original, I've got no other option so let's do this.  I did a taste test when I got home and wow...huge difference in taste.  It tasted like straight paprika.  My family loved the pulled pork and my dad and brother didn't complain about the ribs (in fact, they really liked them) but I tried one and was really disappointed in the taste.  It was really a shame, less salt would be a nice thing for the people I was cooking for.  Can't help but say that I'm disappointed.  I thought about hitting the ribs with some Swamp Venom but I think everybody but my dad would have spontaneously 
combusted from the heat.  :)

Last time at Ace, I got the last Dizzy Dust and the butcher I go to was sold out completely.  Maybe it is because the weather has been fairly cooperative and people are Eggin' like crazy, but it seems like Dizzy Dust supply has been low in my area.  

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Salt free rub is useful if putting it on food that has already been salted (dry brining, etc). You can add some fine grain salt to the rub to taste.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • StellarEvo
    StellarEvo Posts: 89
    Options
    I dunno about DP Swamp Venom.  My family loves heat so last time I made chicken I caked it on the chicken...didn't taste hot at all. Good flavor..but not really hot..could just be a bad bottle who knows
    Ha...I'm just a wuss more than likely.  We like the Swamp Venom and it is a good heat but use it more sparingly than most rubs.  It seems like a little goes a long way for us.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Swamp Venom isn't too hot, but makes for a great seasoning on wings with buffalo sauce. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA