Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got some steaks for Father's Day

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
We got me and my father 1 inch thick prime ribeyes and 1 inch thick NY strips for my mom, wife and daughter.

I am planning on getting the egg to 500. Using the cast iron grate down in the spider to sear each steak 2 min a side. Then moving the steaks to the raised grids until 115-120 for medium on all except my wife's I will cook to 135 (for medium well?). Let them rest for 5-10 minutes to serve. Sound like a good plan?

Serving with sliced red potatoes cooked in the oven and corn on the Cobb

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    115 to 120 would normally be considered Med Rare, but should be outstanding. Personally I like mine about 120 or so... the 135 will be a Med Well for sure. But be careful if the steaks are less than an inch, the 135 one could move to well done in a hurry.

Great steaks though... enjoy!

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Make sure to pull off 5-10 deg early to allow for carry over. Carry over has overdone more than a few dinners for me early!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Happy Father's Day to all yesterday. I was too tired to post lat night after the meal and bottles of homemade wine. Steaks came ou very good.

Cooked the potatoes on the grill as well. Sliced red potatoes, sprinkled some garlic powder, onion powder, dill and put into foil packets with butter and cooked for 30 min.

I had to use the WGWW lump as well ask I ran out of Royal Oak. I am down to a 1/2 bad of lump. Time to go to restaurant depot to reload.

Garnerville, NY