Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Rub

Options
thailandjohn
thailandjohn Posts: 952
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
I was asked on a couple of posts, what rub do I use?........like sauce there are many many rubs, all with different flavors Over the last 30 plus years of Qing, I have made my own and purchased or have been given hundreds of commercial rubs My main go to rubs are, Montreal Steak Seasoning and Lemon Pepper......depending on what I am cooking I use one of these as a base and then add other spices...example, Brisket I use Montreal Steak Seasoning and add a little Chili Powder, Chicken I use Lemon Pepper add some of the commercial BBQ rubs I still have in my spice cabinet ( I am not buying any rubs at this time, I am just trying to get rid of what I currently have) So the bottom line is, when you see any of my pictures it will be Beef with Steak Seasoning with something else added, Chicken and Fish, Lemon Pepper with other seasonings added. Pork, a little of both the Steak and Lemon Pepper and other seasonings I am not trying to be evasive but I have so many spices to get rid of I am even mixing up spices and putting in small jars and giving to my friends There are so many good BBQ spices on the market it would be hard for me to pick a favorite

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @thailandjohn‌
    Is that Montreal seasoning made by McCormicks? I'm pretty fond of that one myself.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I love Lemon Pepper as long as it's a brand with more lemon than pepper. I buy from a guy here in Michigan at a big outdoor show once a year that runs a wild life spice company in the Midwest. I used to use Cajun Injector brand until discovering his "Something Wild". I use it a lot on fish and vegetables......favorite being roasted Brussel sprouts with lemon pepper. Used it on Asparagus and Salmon a few days ago as well.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    @SGH, my wife makes a homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning for me here that's really good. Not sure where she got the recipe from.
    Dearborn MI
  • SGH
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌
    I would love to try it if you don't mind sharing the recipe. Thanks in advance.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I'll have to get it from her, that's actually one of the few spice recipes she makes. That and her taco seasoning. I'll check my paprika recipe manager and see if she put it in there. 
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Ok so here is my disclaimer......I have never purchased Montreal Steak Seasoning so I have nothing to compare it to. I just know when a recipe calls for it I use my wife's mix and its turns out well. Here it is.

2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
    2 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    1 tablespoon granulated onion
    1 tablespoon crushed coriander
    1 tablespoon dill
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    May not be close but you can decide, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • SGH
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌
    Looks impressive. Going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌ Don't mean to hijack the post, but I LOVE my Paprika app! Glad to see someone else is a fan!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy