Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs for the Dads

Options
Keefer
Keefer Posts: 120
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Our Dads both wanted ribs for Fathers Day so we started with several racks: image Then we loaded up the Egg: image And let them cook: image A few hours later: image And a little sauce: image Then it was time to eat: image Did they like them you ask??? image What do you think? :)

Comments

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Look yummy! Doing chicken and ribs tomorrow....
    GWN
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options

Great looking food and the photos are superb. 
    Auburn, Alabama
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    Excellent.  I did two racks today.  My lovely bride and I split one for dinner and we now have lunch tomorrow after church all done.  Mmmmm.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Looks good, a few hours? What temp? Turbo?
    Dearborn MI
  • Keefer
    Options
    They were rubbed the night before with S&P and a little Bad Byron's.   We don't like too much rub as the smoked pork is delicious by itself and the flavor of the rub can overpower it. I cooked them with Rock Wood lump and hickory/apple chunks indirect over apple juice in the drip pan for 5 hours at 275 straight through. Without the back strap - this was enough time to give them almost perfect pull and chew. I spritzed them every 30 minutes the last couple hours with an apple juice and honey mixture. I finished them off with Bone Sucking Sauce canalized direct at the top level of the AR running about 400.   
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Keefer‌
    Looks excellent my friend. And judging by that plate of bones they were no doubt a hit. Good work my friend. =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Ribs look great!

I can see potato salad, cole slaw and beans... all solid sides with ribs. What's the corn dish; corn bread or some type of corn casserole? Whatever it is it looks good too.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    It looks like old timey corn pone to me. Can't see it that well but it sure does look like it.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    SGH said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌ It looks like old timey corn pone to me. Can't see it that well but it sure does look like it.
    It does look good. I'd probably put a generous dash of Tabasco on it though.  :P
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Absolute!!! What would pone be without my friend!

Status- Standing by.

• Keefer
    Options
    Actually, it's corn pudding. My wife is always finding new recipes. First time for this one - and with a little tweaking I think it might just be a keeper. It went very well with the pork.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Awesome cook for the 2 Dads :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Looking good. Quick question: it appears as though you cut your racks in half... did you do that simply to allow for better utilization of grill space? Looks like an XL egg, is that correct?

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Keefer
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Yes, 9 racks in all on an XL. I find it easier to manage them cut in half - all the way from rubbing them to plating them. The down side is twice the number of ends. I stagger stack them to get more ribs on the grid and maintain air/heat flow. I avoid getting the ribs too close to the edges of the grid to prevent the ends from getting burned from heat coming up around the stone.