Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Boston Butt

Options
Marshall85
Marshall85 Posts: 12
Attempted Boston butt for the first time 8.5 lbs (butcher cut a little larger than expected)  Got everything set up and locked in @350 for turbo.  after 3 hours temp started dropping.  Thought I had enough lump but I am out.   Ive got everything wide open and it has been holding steady at 250 but starting to slowly drop.  Internal temp is 155-160 - Should i move it to oven and what temp should I put it in for - 225-250?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If you have more lump simply remove the butt and wrap in foil. Reload with lump and bring egg back up to temp and put your butt back on. You are out of the danger zone temp wise. You could safely hold it at 160 for over 24 hours if you just wanted to before you competed the cooking process. You are fine if you chose the oven or the egg to finish your cook. Either way it will turn out great and no one will have any idea that anything happened if you don't tell them. You have not affected the finished product in any way my friend. Good luck. As always I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Just refill, stabilize and continue on like nothin ever happened

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I forgot to say bring the egg back to 350 were it was at prior and put the butt right back on and finish cooking at 350 degrees. Nothing to worry about my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Marshall85
    Marshall85 Posts: 12
    Options
    completely out of lump, rookie mistake not having back up.  Any guesses as to how long it will take if I throw it in oven at 225 to finish?  
  • SGH
    Options
    Throw it in the oven at 350 my friend. It's the same thing. You should already have good smoke on it. All you are trying to do now is reach the final internal temp.

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You have gotten a good bit of smoke. If it were me I would probably wrap in foil and put in the oven at 300ish and finish it up. Being close to 160 I guess maybe another 2-3hrs in the big clock.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.