Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

25 lb spring pig on LBGE

Options
erapp100
erapp100 Posts: 12
I've got 2 full seasons under my belt and am going to attempt a 25-30 lbs whole "suckling" pig for friends in two weekends. Please post suggestions. I want picking/pulling consistency not carving.
I'm going to try to do the "sit up" style that we have all seen done with 60lbers in the XL. I need to know: how to remove the required vertebrae, how many and which ones and how to do it.
I'm hoping to fit it with a legs down PS configuration, fire ring REMOVED so I have rooms for coal and pig (?). I will raise the grill slightly with some foil covered rocks.just enough room to have a thin drip pan between the PS and the grill. Looking at 225 with a guru like device. Thinking about 18 hours. Not sure I can over-cook it as long as I keep the temp down and foil the delicate parts. Competition rub inside and out. Apple
Juice in the drip pan. Injected with pale juice and Apple wood chips mixed in with the coal.
So that's the plan....let's hear the tips! I can't allow this to go wrong! Please indicate if your tips are from first hand experience or If they are educated guesses. In return I will document and photo everything for the definitive guide which I have yet to find for this size pig and a LGE.
Thanks!

Comments