Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raccoon invasion. Morality question.

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had to hose all the rotten tuna out of the traps. 

Strung up marshmallows on a thread like a girl scout at camp so I have them baited.  Tied the **** to the center back bottom of the trap.  These furry f*ckers need to get captured if they know what's good for 'em.
    Options
    henapple said:

He's doing something right.

Disturbing on so many levels...
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    The coons are coming in the house to eat the cats food and drink their water. Try this. Put food and water outside.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Maybe you could adapt my mole recipe.

Dry out some cheap beef chunks. Soak in a jar of ethylene glycol and put a couple of pieces in an active run. A few days later, no more moles.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Maybe you could adapt my mole recipe.

Dry out some cheap beef chunks. Soak in a jar of ethylene glycol and put a couple of pieces in an active run. A few days later, no more moles.

Make it polyethylene glycol - active runs.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Oh, no you di int.  Multitudes of puns.
    Options
    Well?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    When all else fails...every animal loves peanut butter!
  • HoosierEgg71
    Options
    Raccoons are like terrorists....just negotiate and then give in to their demands. Thats how we do it in America now!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Well?
    Think it's fading Trav. No worries for the boiled brisket man.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Caught another cat last night.  Coons came in our house early yesterday, before I could get the traps setup.  So they're going to stay set up, may put some peanut butter on the marshmallows (s'mores?).  

Also, I'm going to pick up some sub-sonic .22 and fireworks (I think I may have some, need to look).
    Options

Caught another cat last night.  Coons came in our house early yesterday, before I could get the traps setup.  So they're going to stay set up, may put some peanut butter on the marshmallows (s'mores?).  

Also, I'm going to pick up some sub-sonic .22 and fireworks (I think I may have some, need to look).

That's the spirit!!! Don't let those little Fers get the best of you...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Dammit...nola got me in the mood now I'm just sitting here drinking pbr waiting for a ca...er, raccoon.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:
    Dammit...nola got me in the mood now I'm just sitting here drinking pbr waiting for a ca...er, raccoon.
    There ain't nothin' like a little alcohol-fueled mayhem!
    Flint, Michigan
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    henapple said:

Nice EBR Henapple, but we gotta talk about your choice of beer.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • henapple
    Options
    Noveske lower, Bravo Company upper. .Lucid red dot. I'm driving to nolaegghead's house....right after I clear my neighborhood out.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @henapple - I'll put a bounty of a 12-pk of PBR on each 'coon.

Maybe you could adapt my mole recipe. Dry out some cheap beef chunks. Soak in a jar of ethylene glycol and put a couple of pieces in an active run. A few days later, no more moles.
    Make it polyethylene glycol - active runs.
    For the non-medical, non-chemists, an explanation.  Ethylene glycol - poisonous.  Polyethylene glycol, a powerful laxative. 
    Options
    henapple said:

http://youtu.be/MGQaH3-LK54
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ very disappointed. Here I thought you had a lil neck in ya. No Coon trapped :-(
    And as much a humanitarian I am the facts are Coons carry many diseases one of which is rabies. Humanly euthanizing them is NOT necessarily a bad thing. Clearly there is not low population of these lil masked devils. And to be clear in FL it is illegal to shoot a Gator but, we also have "Stand your Ground" of course that pertains to humans (and OBW I fully support this law). Point is if anything animal or human poses a threat it's gonna get a lullaby. My neighbor had to use extreme prejudice on a 7' Gator that took over his pond a few years ago.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    Any luck?
    Southern Indiana
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Clearing throat...excuse me Mr Cat please let @nolaegghead‌ know me and my buddies prefer his house to all others. We're gonna Party like it's 1999. Don't worry Mr Cat you and your friends are welcome to party with us. We can use these metal mesh thingies for coasters :-Pimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ very disappointed. Here I thought you had a lil neck in ya. No Coon trapped :-( And as much a humanitarian I am the facts are Coons carry many diseases one of which is rabies. Humanly euthanizing them is NOT necessarily a bad thing. Clearly there is not low population of these lil masked devils. And to be clear in FL it is illegal to shoot a Gator but, we also have "Stand your Ground" of course that pertains to humans (and OBW I fully support this law). Point is if anything animal or human poses a threat it's gonna get a lullaby. My neighbor had to use extreme prejudice on a 7' Gator that took over his pond a few years ago.
    I would shoot them, send them on their way humanely, but some of my best friends next door would hate me and I really like them.  So I'm going about it the way I am.  I'm all for the "Stand your ground" law if it fills in some loopholes that aren't covered by laws we already have, I'm not sure if know what they are, but I don't want to have to worry about having any senseless violence on anyone innocent by any trigger happy people who just had a bad day like the movie "The Purge".  
    edited June 2014
    Options

I would show your neighbors the coon in the trap as you load it into your vehicle and take it somewhere else and shoot it. If you let the thing loose within a mile of your home it is likely to come back.  

I just found this and they mention 5 miles, though in an urban setting I'm sure the thing would find something to keep him happy before he made it back to your place. 

http://www.raccoonatticguide.com/relocating.html 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    After battling the raccoons for several days, I seriously doubt that relocating and releasing is even an option in @nolaegghead 's mind.  Maybe firing them off like a clay pigeon at the gun range......

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ I was just stirring the pot On the "Stand Your Ground" statement (but, I was serious on that I do support it). >:)
    Like I said I relocate most critters (except Dillos). Hopefully you can catch the Coons sooner than later.
    Edit: Happy 10K & Father's Day
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Caught 3 last night.  Two busted out of the cages.  We're releasing the other one on the other side of the industrial canal.  I'll post a pic later.
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen. :)) lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    What internal temp for slicing vs pulling?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    Options
    Clowns.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    "Busted Out"?!?!?   :-O

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month