Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Cleaning a Dishwasher

Angus1978
Angus1978 Posts: 390
Sooo as all mistakes start....I was a little drunk AND lazy last night.  I was cleaning my King Cooker Fryer, and had all the black soot all over me.....I said to myself "Screw it" and put the sucker in the dishwasher.

Naturally the black soot is everywhere, on the dishwasher, on a couple of the dishes that I didn't take out of the dishwasher...hey they were dirty too. 
Right before bed, I saw I would need to remove the nasty pot, and I ran it again with a little bleach.  Woke up this am and, nope nope nope...still dirty.

The wife hasn't seen it.....yet.    Anyone got any suggestions on getting the washer clean again?  I'm not afraid of elbow grease, but if ya'll knew of a way to run the wash and some industrial strength dishwasher detergent, I'd be grateful.
LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Try running again on sanitizer setting + a double dose of detergent + a TBSP of TSP (Tri sodium phosphate).

Phosphates are what used to make dishwasher detergents so good, but they screw up the lakes and rivers and cause algae blooms so most dishwasher detergent is phosphate free now.

You might get enough phosphate from the TSP to really break down that crud.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2014
    Long story, but after a fire inside my freezer in March no amount of cleaning solvents and elbow grease will ever get the smoke stained white plastic clean again. I wish you well...do you have a gullible wife who will believe some badman sneaked into your kitchen and did this while you were at church?  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Angus1978
    @RRP  No...damnit...I married a smart woman.

I'll try @Bigwader 's suggestion and some others from the internet and if that doesn't work. I'll convince her it's a water waster and we need a new more efficient model; (she's suspected it's an energy hog, so the groundwork is laid)...and also I've learned my lesson.

That'll likely work, but cost me.....

Thanks for the input!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It will come out fine, but you'll need to scrub it - elbow grease.  Soot, especially carbon black, is insoluble in water, period.  But it will come out.  If you had a fire in your dishwasher, it would be a different story.
    You can also try the "Affresh" dishwasher tabs. They work well in mine. There is a chance the soot is bound to hard water deposits in the washer. Lemishine is another alternative. 

You could also try CLR but run it with nothing else in there and then run another cycle to rinse the washer.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Try a product called LemiShine. Can find it at Target and Lowes.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Tang (the drink mix) will clean you dishwasher. Fill the dispenser and put a little extra in for good measure.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @Angus1978-no pearls of wisdom here but I wish you luck in surviving when you are found out.  All I know is if were to have attempted the same (given the reasonably defined initial conditions:) )   SWMBO would have extracted all kinds of payback.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Angus1978
    I'm sure I'll face the music this afternoon ....  but I'll try all remedies.  Thanks ya'll :D L-)
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    And make your bed on the couch.   :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Angus1978
    @bud812 Good thing a tv is there and PS4
  • Angus1978
    Citrus degreaser spray worked well. Thanks for the tips yall
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612

The Tang orange breakfast drink is a very cheap alternative to the dedicated DW cleaners available commercially. Years ago Maytag sent us a bulletin reccomending this as a way to keep the then new plastic tanks clean. Citric acid in a very cheap form. Obviously food safe. And the remains can be used to make drinks!

Jim

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • nolaegghead
    That's brilliant!
    I will try the Tang for sure. Sounds like a winner.
    sure...I'll give Tang a shot to "clean" the hard to scrub places....
  • Bleach is your friend here.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Am I the only one who is curious how they heck @rrp had a fire inside his freezer?! I am beyond intrigued as to how that happened...
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    I assumed it was the ice maker motor, but RRP could have had a science experiment gone awry.
    I assumed it was the ice maker motor, but RRP could have had a science experiment gone awry.
    I am hoping it is something much more exciting and risque but you are probably correct
    Boom
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Am I the only one who is curious how they heck @rrp had a fire inside his freezer?! I am beyond intrigued as to how that happened...
    We were headed to bed and the wife ran the ice dispenser in the door like she always does to take a mug to bed. I had something to finish and 5 minutes later I smelled smoke - opened the freezer door of our refrig/freezer side by side and there was a raging fire inside! I closed the door and ran for the fire extinguisher and put it out. Between the soot, smoke and chemical everything in the freezer was a loss. The next day I wrote to GE even though it was 6 years old and out of warranty - but just the same I wanted them to know their product was a fire hazard! GE authorized the repairs...but now after 5 visits by the repairmen they still can't get it to work. As of Monday GE has now incurred exactly $2,000 in labor and parts to fix a 6 year old unit that I only paid $1,199 for...and the thing STILL doesn't work! Someone at GE got their butt chewed out Monday, but I haven't heard back since. BTW none of the repairmen claim to have ever heard of or seen a fire inside a freezer before!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.