Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks to RRP and his smoked meat loaf

Options
Dawnl
Dawnl Posts: 252
Thank you RRP for the best smoked meat loaf recipe.  Rubbed with Mickey's coffee rub and my own bbq sauce, turned out the best.  My oldest son asked if he could take one home it was so good.Will be having some good sammies at work this week.  :)
Ottawa Valley, Ontario

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks delicious!  =D>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    You are certainly welcome - that recipe has been a favorite of ours for years now.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Lookso good. I did one last night, but didn't get a lot of smoke on it because we were in a hurry to eat. I would spice mine up more, but my 5 year old and wife don't like things to spicy. I want to do a hamloaf some time soon.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bigdogk9
    bigdogk9 Posts: 69
    Options
    Where can I find this recipe?
  • Dawnl
    Options
    Go to the search bar, type in smoked meat loaf and you are there.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    bigdogk9 said:
    Where can I find this recipe?
    Here you go:

This recipe was gleaned from one made at a Texas Eggfest in 2004. Somebody named Bob submitted it. I have made a few modifications myself over the years to our satisfaction. RRP

Ingredients:

1 pound 80/20 ground chuck
    ½ pound ground pork
    1 T canola oil
    ½ cup chopped onion
    ½ cup chopped green pepper
    ½ cup Panko bread crumbs – Parmesan herb style
    1 T Worcestershire
    3 cloves diced garlic
    1 raw egg
    1 tea ground black pepper
    ½ tea Kosher salt
    ½ tea Tabasco
    ¼ tea ground cumin
    ¼ cup beef stock

Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and sauté. As it simmers add the ground pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and continue cooking until veggies are softened. Place this into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix and mix well with your hands by squeezing through your fingers. Then form your loaf and coat all 6 sides with a favorite rub such as Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. I use a wire basket meatloaf “pan” which allows smoke to reach it on all sides. I then lay 3 pieces of raw bacon on top, dust lightly with the CL rub again.

Set up your BGE to cook indirect by using the plate setter with legs up and grate on top. I also foil my PS to keep the grease from getting the PS too dirty. Shoot for a 330° dome temp and cook to an internal temp of 160°. Typically this will take about 90 minutes. BTW I prefer the taste of cherry wood chips as that smoke seems to “honor” this loaf!

ENJOY!
  • bigdogk9
    bigdogk9 Posts: 69
    Options
    Thank you RRP!!!!
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    @rrp do you sauce before the cook
  • Tony_Wornick
    Options
    Will be trying this soon..thanks!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    ericp said:
    @rrp do you sauce before the cook
    I don't sauce my meatloaf - that was something @Dawnl added.
  • Dawnl
    Options
    I sauced before it went on the grill and just before I took it off.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario