Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone for some Chicken???

Options
xiphoid007
xiphoid007 Posts: 536
edited June 2014 in Poultry
So, did my first spatchcock chicken last night for me and the misses and some chicken legs for the kids. My first raised direct cook since the arrival of my bday present, the AR with stone and grate. Did at 400 and absolutely awesome. Used dizzy pig tsunami spin, which I love. Turned out great. Started skin side down for 20 min then flipped for 20 min more. Was 165 in the breast and 190, in the thigh, so overdone a touch, but still awesome. Skin was potato chip crisp and perfect.

Doing some chickine wings tonight. Raised direct again with a simple store bought "wing dust" which sounds a lot like a version of some Bad Byron's without all the pepper. Wings are currently going. Will update as I go. I plan for doing some with a little Sweet Baby Ray's for the kids and some buffalo style for me and the wife with sriacha and franks red hot, respectively. Finished cutting the grass and had a couple beers aleardy after watching my boys baseball game, so all and all, life is good!

Yeah, that's 48 wings on the large!
Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a load of wings!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Wings were great, but no pics?!?

I took a pic with my phone, but I can't find it now! I know, no pics, and it didn't happen, but trust me it did.

Wings were a little dark, but good. I might try 350 next time.

Took half off and left the other half on with a little BBQ sauce for another 10 min or so just to cook the sauce a little.

The first half I tossed in 2 batches. 1 a 2:1 mix of franks red hot and melted butter and the other in 2:1 mix of sriracha and melted butter.

Just awesome. Sorry for no pics, I'm actually pretty bummed about it.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    OK, 1 wing left. This was a BBQ one my daughter couldn't finish.

You can see they're a little dark, but still great.

Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @xiphoid007‌
    Awesome looking my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    CFA doesn't do that.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!