Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Last Nite on LG BGE. I thought about doing two 'za's at a time with CGS Oval Stone but didn't

Options

I think there would've been enough radiant heat from the underside of the BGE stone in the attic to radiate down on the top of the CGS stone on the upstairs level to bubble the toppings of a 2nd pizza.  I had it in there as another barrier as the fire was coming above the round stone in the basement and I wanted to keep the heat around 700F.  The basement had the spider from CGS and the round CGS stone as the barrier.  Results were incredible.  Pizza flour rose all day in fridge and then the pies were easy to assemble.  I am starting to get the hang of being able to slide one off of the pizza peel with the help of flour and or cornmeal.

See picts

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Ooh, half and half.  Looks great!
    NOLA
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Thanks! I don't mean to sound snobby but going out for pizza in the past year has been disappointing most of the time- there are only a few places in Phoenix (Bianco eg) that are destination joints for za that never disappoint. I also can't believe how inexpensive it is to create GREAT pizza at home with BGE. One saves a ton of dough (pun intended) doing pizza on BGE at home. I made three 16" pizzas the other nite for about $12 worth of ingredients. Had a pizza party in April in which 8 adults and 7 kids were fed very well and including the charcoal and splurging on high end gourmet pizza flour, everyone ate a ton and the total cost was maybe $45. Plus it was fun- kids dressed their own pizzas and couldn't wait for it to come off the egg. Also made dessert pizza with nutella and fruit which was a huge success.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice may try 2 pizzas when my set up comes.
    Since I've got home made pizzas down I can't spend the $20-25 for a decent pie here in Seattle. Its been a long while.
    Seattle, WA
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Western, it's not cocky it's the truth. When you are a good cook more than likely you have a life of eating out disappointments. I am always accused of being a snob etc especially with BBQ. I always say I'm not a snob I just like to eat good food. My BBQ is the best for me because I know just how I like it. Also no restaurant will ever put the time and love into food like a home cook for his family and friends. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I used to try for theseimage
    in my egg. But I found I can come closer to it in my oven. Don't do as many as I used to, but it's been a long time since I egged one.

I doubt I'll ever stand in line for Aaron Franklin's brisket, but if I ever make it to Phoenix, I WILL wait for a Bianco pie. Or two. 
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• westernbbq
    Options

Chris Bianco is a good friend of mine.  He's the Don Corleone of Italian style, brick oven pizza and the most down to earth guy you could ever meet.  We're lucky to have him in Phoenix and he's even shared some tips with me on pizza crust- like using high-quality flour, letting it rise at room temp, get the purest water you can find, etc. 

I can't replicate what Chris does in his restaurants but the 'za at home rivals that of many local places that I was surprised often get billed as the best.  LGO has a chewy sourdough crust that is sublime, Bianco is the best  and there are a few other smaller local joints are the only places in Phoenix worth going to.  Otherwise, it's the back yard and the BGE

I agree with KenFromMI that it's difficult to go out for food when you can make such good stuff at home.  The expense is just outrageous and I don't enjoy bad food.  In fact, when I got my first BGE (and XL) the guy at the BBQ store told me that restaurants would become obsolete!

There are a few places I like to go to for eats but for the most part I would rather cook at home on the BGE.

• Carolina Q
    edited June 2014
    Options
    There are only handful of pizzaioli I would wait in line for. Anthony Mangieri (UPN) in San Francisco, Dom DeMarco at Di Fara's in Brooklyn and Chris Bianco. 

Is Chris  baking pies again? I read somewhere (quite a while ago) that medical issues caused him to give up the day to day hands on at the oven.

My favorite Pizzeria Bianco pic...

And my attempt at his Rosa...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I think you shoulda gone for the two at once - the planets were properly aligned, and I have not seen such a cook posted here.  Your mission, should you decide to accept it.........................
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    WesternBBQ, I have friends in AZ, where is that pizza place at and what's it called. I'd like to recommend it to them. They moved to AZ last Summer and are still learning their way around. They are about an hour away but go there often.
    Dearborn MI
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Ken, Pizzeria Bianco. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• westernbbq
    Options

Pizzeria Bianco at Heritage Square on 7th Street just north of Washington.  that's THE place.  Get there at 4, wait til the door opens and get on the list.  it's worth every minute of the wait- even in hot AZ summers

Pane Bianco on Central Avenue, directly across the street from Central High School- it's between Indian School Rd and Camelback.

Italian Restaurant at the Town and Country mall on 20th Street and Camelback

he has all three, and as far as him making the pies still, I read that too- that he had some issues but I never brought it up in conversation.  I've seen him in the restaurants since that story came out though.  The guy's a rock star and I think he's been opening up restaurants in England lately. I've not seen him for about 6 mos or so but I do know that he's involved in daily operations of all the restaurants when he's in town.

tell your friends to go to any of the three Bianco sites- pizza not available at all three though,  Oregano's is good too, go to  LGO (La Grande Orange), Ingos, Chelsea's, Barrio Café, Grazie's in Old Town Scottsdale, and there are many many more local joints that are really good.  Not all are pizza but these places are all great!  There's a place called Noca at 32nd and Camelback that is uber good too.