Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Anyone order from these guys?

They are actually out of NC and appear to have some great looking items.  Good thing is they are in NC too! 

http://bbqcookingwoodraleighnc.com/
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC

Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• BearlodgeBearlodge Posts: 45
    Where do you live in NC?  I am in Maggie Valley.
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 8,719
    @Bearlodge I am in Thomasville
    Thomasville, NC

Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,871
    Interesting. I am around that area a few times a month. Where do they sell it? No link or info on the website. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    @Hi54putty the website indicates the below...

Call John Dempsey at 919-604-7253 to schedule a Cooking Wood Delivery or a Local Pickup at 2725 Durham Rd. Wake Forest, NC 27587
    Thomasville, NC

Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • msloanmsloan Posts: 363
    do they ship out of state?
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Nice. I'm in Chapel Hill.  May need to head up there for some Cherry and Apple wood.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC - Go Heels!
    I am not sure @msloan.  You could call them and ask. 
    Thomasville, NC

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    @CarolinaCrazy... ahh.. Gods country.. I am envious. 

If you go let me know what you think.  I work in Mebane so it would not be to far down the interstate. 
    Thomasville, NC

Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • corey24corey24 Posts: 374
    Let us know if you get some price quotes.  I don't see any on the site.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Will do @corey24.
    Thomasville, NC

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    Tried calling, but got their VM.  I also emailed them asking for pricing and if they will ship. 
    Thomasville, NC

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    thanks @tarheelmatt ; they look to have some quality wood.

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,796
    I just heard back. They are going to look into shipping for me but all wood is $3/lb, except Apple, which is $3.50/lb.
  • queuedqueued Posts: 50
    That is going to be mighty convenient for me, as they are less than 10 minutes from where I live  :).
    Raleigh, NC
    Looks like he will do the wood for BGE for $3 a pound (except apple @ $3.50 a lb.). 

He said he would work something out to ship them to for those interested. 

Guys phone number is above, but I reached his email jdempsey5@hotmail.com

Thomasville, NC

Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 12,106
    $3/lb seems awfully high to me, at least for some of the common woods. Home Depot sells them for less than half that ($7 per 5 lbs). Hickory, cherry, apple, pecan and mesquite. Larger bags (18 lb) of hickory and mesquite are only $1/lb. 

No other woods though. No pear, plum, peach, oak (of any variety), grape, apricot, alder, etc.

When I just looked that up. I discovered that FINALLY, my store here now stocks pecan!! I have never seen it here. A southern friend sent me some a while back, but now it's only 10 minutes away!! So thanks for prodding me to look. On my way shortly.
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 24,243
    edited June 2014
    You can also get smoke wood from trees.  And it is free.

Keep an eye out for branches and cut-down trees in your area.  If you want to make your bbq regional, use what grows around you (and that tastes good).   I have big bins of oak and pecan from the last hurricane (was really like a really long, strong storm where we were) - Isaac.

• DMWDMW Posts: 10,920

You can also get smoke wood from trees.  And it is free.

Keep an eye out for branches and cut-down trees in your area.  If you want to make your bbq regional, use what grows around you (and that tastes good).   I have big bins of oak and pecan from the last hurricane (was really like a really long, strong storm where we were) - Isaac.

Just don't let your neighbors catch you trimming their trees.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE
    @Carolina Q, yes, that does appear pricy like you said.  This stuff looks very good and promising though.  I think some moisture is left in this for longevity.  May last longer than those in the bag like you're talking about.  Not 100% sure about that, just babbling...
    Thomasville, NC

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    If you cut some large limbs from trees for smoking how long do you need to let it dry out before using to smoke?  I've always heard don't use green wood.

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,703
    Amazon is also a good resource.  The prices fluctuate somewhat, but right now cherry and pecan are $6.99 for a 5 lb bag.   Free shipping with prime or $25 order.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 24,243
    As smoke wood in a charcoal fire it can be used green.  As firewood in a stick burner, it needs to be seasoned for about a year.

Knock off the bark if it looks moldy and if you have any sap oozing out of the sapwood, dig in deeper and use the heartwood.  This is rarely an issue in hardwoods.

One of the reasons it's seasoned is because it splits better.

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 12,106
    ... I think some moisture is left in this for longevity.  May last longer than those in the bag like you're talking about.  
    Matthew, if you keep the wood dry and allow air to circulate, it will last far longer than you will! :) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

... I think some moisture is left in this for longevity.  May last longer than those in the bag like you're talking about.  
    Matthew, if you keep the wood dry and allow air to circulate, it will last far longer than you will! :) 
    You're probably right @Carolina Q‌ :-)
    Thomasville, NC

Facebook
    My Photography Site