Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Looking For new pork ideas

egging for a friends birthday Saturday, main meats are already taken care of. Looking for an unusual pork cook. Done pig shots, butts and all the others in between looking for something unique. Thanks in advance
Visalia, Ca

Comments

• badinfluencebadinfluence Posts: 1,760
    Whole hog
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 1,094
    If I could egg that I would! Thought about trying to find a head
    Visalia, Ca
  • badinfluencebadinfluence Posts: 1,760
    The head would be a good choice. Ears and cheeks are very good. They say the new xxl can do a whole hog but will see when mine gets delivered
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • onedbguruonedbguru Posts: 992
    Pork chops 1.5-1.75 thick with chimichurri sauce.  cook hot 550-600 about 5min/side depend doneness.  I prefer med-well (very little pink).

Chimichurri:  (basically a parsley-based pesto)
    garlic
    parsley
    olive oil 
    red-wine vinegar
    a bit of red-pepper flakes
    salt 
    pepper.
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 9,781

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.

Woody Allen

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 3,688
    Bone in pork loin.
    XL, WSM, Little Kahuna, Coleman RoadTrip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • How about bbq pizza or calzones.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 3,688

How about bbq pizza or calzones.

I had BBQ pulles pork pizza before and it was the best.
    XL, WSM, Little Kahuna, Coleman RoadTrip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
    Thank You Everybody!
    Visalia, Ca
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,917
    pork souvlaki
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    We make Bbq pork tators, just rub big tators down with melted butter and your favorite seasonings and throw them on the egg while making a  pork butt.  split the tator open and fill it with butter, pork, fried up bacon, cheese, sour cream and bbq sauce.  They have them at our county fair, but they are better off the egg!!
  • KenfromMIKenfromMI Posts: 742
    Ditto on what Texan said. This was my first recipe I did when I got my egg in April and it was awesome, Ken

Dearborn MI
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 1,943
    ktm101 said:
    We make Bbq pork tators, just rub big tators down with melted butter and your favorite seasonings and throw them on the egg while making a  pork butt.  split the tator open and fill it with butter, pork, fried up bacon, cheese, sour cream and bbq sauce.  They have them at our county fair, but they are better off the egg!!

Ooh that sounds good.
    NOLA
  • westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 987

Get a whole loin, cut it into 1" thick chops and marinate overnight in the following mixture:

1/4 C soy sauce, 1/4 C teriyaki sauce, two green onions sliced up, 1 C Black Bean Chili Sauce, 1 C Plum Sauce, 1 C Hoisin Sauce, 2 TBSP powdered ginger, 3 Cloves Crushed garlic, 2 TBSP red wine vinegar, Zest of one lemon, 2 TBS salt, 2 TBSP white pepper, 2 TBS dry mustard, 2TBSP toasted sesame oil.

Modify any way you wish but the key ingredients are the Hoisin Sauce, Chopped Green Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Plum Sauce, and Black Bean Chili sauce.  This marinade is sublime on pork and is always a hit.  It has heat, sweet, savory, and succulentness all rolled into one.  It's one of my go-to recipes when I need to cook for a party.  The BGE just makes it that much better because the chops come off much more moist than they used to off my gas grill, which I gave away!

Also, you can use bone it pork chops but likely will be pre-cut.  The 1" thickness is crucial.

I use  a whole pork loin but

ktm101 said:

Can they be wrapped in bacon? I guess anything can be wrapped in bacon- even bacon
    Visalia, Ca
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 949
    Pork tenderloin, marinated, cooked direct with a nice crust, sliced about 1/8 or so, tzatziki sauce for dipping.
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
    GeorgeS said:
    Pork tenderloin, marinated, cooked direct with a nice crust, sliced about 1/8 or so, tzatziki sauce for dipping.
    The tenderloin is looking better and better
    Visalia, Ca
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 6,382
    Carnitas?
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thomasville, North Cackalack - Large BGE - Medium BGE - KJ Jr - 36" Blackstone
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 998
    Butterflied pork loin, wrapped into a roll and stuff with herbs and cheese?  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • ktm101ktm101 Posts: 61
    lkapigian said:

ktm101 said:

Can they be wrapped in bacon? I guess anything can be wrapped in bacon- even bacon

Sure! .. that sounds great!
  • onedbguruonedbguru Posts: 992
    Bourbon Pork Tenderloin.

Google is your friend for this one.  The marinade makes a WONDERFUL side sauce.
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 624
    This was a massive hit.  Basically, I wanted pizza without the bread.  So, i butterflied and pounded out a pork tenderloin and filled it with my favorite pizza toppings: fresh mozzarella, baby spinach, roasted garlic, pepperoni, diced tomatoes, and pizza sauce.  I then rolled it and tied it, and more pizza sauce on the outside.  Cooked it indirect at 375 until 160 in the center (i figured that would be good).  It was dam good, but next time I'm going to try a flank steak instead of pork!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA - XL, L, Small
    danv23 said:
    This was a massive hit.  Basically, I wanted pizza without the bread.  So, i butterflied and pounded out a pork tenderloin and filled it with my favorite pizza toppings: fresh mozzarella, baby spinach, roasted garlic, pepperoni, diced tomatoes, and pizza sauce.  I then rolled it and tied it, and more pizza sauce on the outside.  Cooked it indirect at 375 until 160 in the center (i figured that would be good).  It was dam good, but next time I'm going to try a flank steak instead of pork!

Nice
    Visalia, Ca
  • westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 987

That is an incredible idea.  I am going to try this concept but do so Asian style- fill it with the garlic, scallions, carrots, celery, sprouts -etc the veggies in a stir-fry and then wrap it up in a tenderloin.