Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

ofcman29
ofcman29 Posts: 28

Just got my egg this past week.  Having a Belmont Party at 5 on Saturday and plan to do a beef tenderloin for the ten guests.  Looking to reverse sear it.  How long does it take to get to 115 degrees at 300 on indirect cooking.  Would like to serve it at 6. 

I then plan to reverse sear it once I get it to 115 degrees.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Wow, I'm impressed! Going all out with a beef tenderloin for one of your first cooks. I'm 10  months in to my BGE and haven't gone that far.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    It depends on the shape, thickest part maybe 20 - 25 minutes per pound, thon parts a lot faster. You can double the "tail" over and tie it to make that part a little less done.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Did a 6 pound at 275-300 degrees and tied tail  to even thickness. Took 1-1.5 hours to IT of 115 before resting and searing.Used Mickeys rub and Jack Daniels chips.  Fantastic! Enjoy!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • ofcman29

Tenderloin was OUTSTANDING!   Thanks to all on the forum for their past recipes and input.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    ofcman29 said:

Tenderloin was OUTSTANDING!   Thanks to all on the forum for their past recipes and input.

I'm glad it came out good for you. I am thinking of doing one soon and had some questions. What temp did you sear at and for how long per side. Did you do raised direct to get it to 115 or indirect? Welcome to the club, by the way.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ofcman29
    I had a buddy over who has owned an egg for years.  He recommended, after cooking many himself, we cooked it for about 35-45 minutes at 350.  It came out charred on the outside and medium rear on the inside.  We turned the tenderloin, every 10 minutes to get a good char on all sides.  I hope it helps.