Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Que Grate

I'm pretty new to the egg just getting it back in April. I have 10 or 12 cooks on it at best. Based on a discussion I ordered a High Que grate a week or so back. Totally forgot I installed it. On my last cook I was kicked back sipping a Scotch waiting to regulate and lock in the temperature I was looking for. Noticed it was extremely easy to do this time. I walked away to take care of a few things, came back and still locked in at the same temperature. Three hours later same temperature. I thought to myself this was my first cook with no temperature spikes and I'm finally adjusting to the change over from my WSM to my egg. It didn't hit me until the next day that I had installed the High Que grate. It's only been one cook but I'm wondering if that added to the easiness of the temperature regulation this time.   
Dearborn MI

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2014
    Yes...... 3 Eggs & 3 High Q's Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Mickey said:
    Yes...... 3 Eggs & 3 High Q's Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Gee Mickey you should use your egg more often. It's spotless...lol
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I used the High Que in my new Medium for the first time.  I couldn't believe how fast the Egg came up to temperature (350), or how controllable it was.  I was playing with the temperature - easily went from 350 to 250, and up to 300, then 350, then back down to 250.  Not sure if it was all due to the High Que, or if the size of the medium had a lot to do with it.  In the XL, once it heats up, bringing the temp down is a challenge.  And it never comes to temperature as fast.
    Santa Paula, CA