Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorta OT - The Popular Mechanics Cooler Torture Tests

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,432
Pop Mechanics did a torture test of three expensive coolers, thought there'd be some interest in it here.
They tested the Yeti Tundra 35, Pelican 35QT Elite, and the Yukon 50.  Some quick notes:
- Time to 38 degrees (warmest acceptable lager temperature): Yeti, 4 hours; the other two, 5 hours
- Rolled down a 40-foot ravine: all passed with light scratches
- Dropped from a 50-mph SUV: Pelican had a handle break off, other scuffed up
And the important one:
- Coolers filled with marshmallows, ice cream sammiches and maple syrup, then thrown into the pen of a 450-lb grizzly named Ondar:  Yeti, bear grabbed rubber hooks with teeth and opened, 9 minutes 23 seconds.  Yukon, same thing, 11' 7".  Pelican, bear gave up after 14 minutes 32 seconds.  

Ain't science wonderful?   :-j

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Interesting. I have a yeti. I like it and I don't have that many encounters with 450 lb grizzlies :D
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Had my yeti fall out if a 4 wheeler going about 45 and all it had was a small scuff.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Wonder how long it would take the hungry bear if it tried the Pelican first? Bet the outcome would have been different.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim