Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cheese

Has anyone ever tried smoking cheese in their BGE?  If so,  any helpful hints?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2014

Here is my question about this process of smoking cheese.

I have done bacon (cold smoke) meat sticks ( hot smoke), these items carry a cure in them inhibiting bacteria growth while in the low temperature stages of cooking them.

How does that work for cold smoking cheese? With the cheese in the smoke for several hours, how is that not a bacterial hazard?

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    @‌hindabbq
    Smoke is a sanitizing agent to some degree. Bacteria will be hard pressed to form in the time that the cheese is encased in a smoke filled environment. Not saying that it's not possible. Just not real likely to happen.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    hondabbq said:

I have done bacon (cold smoke) meat sticks ( hot smoke), these items carry a cure in them inhibiting bacteria growth while in the low temperature stages of cooking them.

How does that work for cold smoking cheese? With the cheese in the smoke for several hours, how is that not a bacterial hazard?

Have you ever eaten cheese off a cheese tray at a party that has been sitting at room temp for a few hours? Same environment, I usually only smoke mine for about 90 minutes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    FYI I would let the cheese age in your frig for about a month after smoking to let the flavors meld.  
    Edina, MN

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    DMW said:

Have you ever eaten cheese off a cheese tray at a party that has been sitting at room temp for a few hours? Same environment, I usually only smoke mine for about 90 minutes.
    Never have, and I wont. If im not relatively close to the time the cheese went out, no way. I have seen too many disgusting people in my years as a chef and how the patrons at a party handle food.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cheese is preserved milk.  Refrigerating it prolongs the shelf life.  Historical note: it's been around long before refrigeration (wow!).