Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

My First Pork Butt (pics)

Finally did a butt for the first time yesterday.   I have to say I am totally hooked.   This has to be one of the lowest-maintenance, most satisfying things I've cooked yet.  It was about a 5 pounder - rubbed it and sauced it the night before I put it on.  I stabilized at about 280-290, with some hickory and applewood chunks, and cooked for about 6.5 hours  until it was about 195 internal temp throughout. I let the temp creep up over 300 for the last hour or so as it seemed to be taking forever.  FTC for about 2 hours after that.  Felt like I was pulling the bone out of butter.  It was just absolutely delicious, juicy, tasty and just enough smoke flavour.   Will definitely do this again. 
Toronto, ON

Comments

• tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 9,134
    Great job!  Looks delishoius!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    Nice job
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Lot of satisfaction in getting it just right. Nice.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Good looking butt!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,688
    Great job!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• GaryLangeGaryLange Posts: 375
    Those look very taste for sure. Love some Pulled Pork Sandwiches in fact had that for dinner tonight.
  • msloanmsloan Posts: 365
    congrats….looks great!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • SGHSGH Posts: 23,996
    @‌martinhd28
    Looks like a home run to me ! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
  • NanookNanook Posts: 846
    Nice job! Gotta love pulled pork!!
    GWN
  • EggbertsdadEggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Well done!

They are so much fun to do because you can do them several different ways. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • EagleIIIEagleIII Posts: 249
    A nicely cooked butt is hard to beat. Congrats!
  • LRGINMTLRGINMT Posts: 34
    Very nicely done.
  • anzyegganzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Looks so good.... I guess I should have waited until after dinner to get on here.... I'm so hungry after seeing some great eats!!! Congrats man.
  • TimvaneeTimvanee Posts: 43
    Looks great! Need to get back to this, but SWMBO is not a big fan.. Too much food for the two of us typically
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Looks like you nailed it !!!!!!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • DMWDMW Posts: 12,119
    Timvanee said:

Looks great! Need to get back to this, but SWMBO is not a big fan.. Too much food for the two of us typically

Freeze the leftovers.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle