Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Is Kaput

Options
Micro burst blew over my L BGE out of its nest. Things which could be salvaged were the daisy wheel, firebox, cooking grate, and fire grate.

Am I going to have to shell out for another whole BGE or am I looking at a little less of the cost if I buy the broken components - damper, dome, base, fire ring, platesetter. 

I'd post pictures - but they are NSFW in my mind....
-Large BGE since 6-13
-Indianapolis, IN

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Insurance?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    Insurance?
    Figure by the time I pay the deductible and then the rise in premiums for having a claim that it wouldn't be worth it....
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Unless there is other damage you would be insane to file a claim for the cost of an egg...after deductible you would get little or nothing, but your rates will go up and you will be one claim away from cancellation...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Ouch...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nick_banich
    Options
    I have a bad feeling the sum the parts will exceed the price of a new one... So glad we purchased a car for my wife yesterday and took on a car payment.  

I may be outta the egg game for a bit boys....
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Dat sucks man !!!

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    That really sucks - must have been a hell of a wind, but I would at least talk to the insurance company.  I asked once if a claim would affect my rates, and was told "no, that's why you pay for insurance".  Some companies are really good.   As long as you are not a jerk filing claims regularly, it should cover something, unless you have a $1000 deductible.  Can you find something else that was damaged?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Anything else damaged in the event?  Roof, fence?  And just because you file a claim doesn't mean you will see an increase in rates.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Sorry to hear that...quick, take the car back to the dealership first thing in the morning! Where you located at? We had some heck of a winds/thunderstorms in SE MO this afternoon/early evening.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    KennyLee said:

Anything else damaged in the event?  Roof, fence?  And just because you file a claim doesn't mean you will see an increase in rates.   

Not sure what area of the country you live in. But, living coastal or for that matter anywhere in FL homeowners insurance can be sketchy (some folks can't even find insurance ---FACT---)and a claim can really hurt. Ya, that's what it's there for but, if after the deductible is paid you're only a few hundred ahead I would likely just suck it up. Either way it blows chunks!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nick_banich
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Southside of Indianapolis. It was insane. Can't find anything else damaged. Wasnt a sustained wind. All of a sudden. Wife thought it was a tornado.
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @nick_banich‌ :( sorry to hear it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Not to rub salt in a wound, but this is why I didn't get the nest. Not so much for wind, but it just seemed like it could get knocked over too easily. I was more worried one of my four little demons would knock it over. Then I would have to sell one to replace it, the wife would be mad, CYS would get involved, etc.

If your deductible isn't too high, you have to be able to find some other damage somewhere. That's why you have homeowner's insurance the way I see it.

Sorry to hear about it. That really sucks. I dedicate my next egg session to you!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Not sure what area of the country you live in. But, living coastal or for that matter anywhere in FL homeowners insurance can be sketchy (some folks can't even find insurance ---FACT---)and a claim can really hurt. Ya, that's what it's there for but, if after the deductible is paid you're only a few hundred ahead I would likely just suck it up. Either way it blows chunks!
    I live in Texas and have bought HO insurance for over 20 years on five different residences and two weekenders.  And I never said it wasn't "sketchy," I said that him filing a claim doesn't necessarily mean his rates go up.  Sometimes you file a claim and your rates remain intact.  Sometimes something happens around you (in your county or your part of the state) and you don't have a claim at all yourself and yet your rates skyrocket.  If he has other damage and filing a claim is in his best interest to replace what he lost, he should do it.     

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @KennyLee‌ if you live in TX you get the jest of my comment. Insurance has a purpose and Yes if ya need it hell ya use it. Period. I've had homeowners ins from day one along with Termite bond etc. For 20 yrs on my current home. And yes premiums go up regardless of claims but, why poke the bear and chance a risk of hikes etc if your only gonna come out a few bucks ahead. And I completely agree w/ you if there is a need to make a claim by all means do it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Home owners insurance is pretty cheap.
    Make the claim.
    That's what you have it for!

Sorry about the egg...  :(
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Damnnnnnn. I had a medium that made it through Sandy with flying colors. It was in a nest with a cover on it in 70+ gusts and sustained winds of 50+.

That must have been an incredible gust.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

(sorry, New Orleans here.  Our rates are through the roof.  Pun intended.)
    NOLA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That sucks man.  I would certainly price out the components and see what is cheaper.  I think the damper just comes in the base (I could be mistaken), so you are looking at base, dome, fire ring, plaste setter.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I think the base and top are around $650 here. A demo egg would be nice.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Sucks to hear about your egg. If there's no other damage it's probably a waste of time calling your insurance unless you got a zero deductible. I agree with @Cookinbob‌ about some companies being good. I had to file a claim last summer because of a hail storm. Storm didn't last long but it caused well-over $20,000. in damages. No changes in coverage and rates decreased because we upgraded the quality of our roofing. Only thing is it reset our deductible. Our deductible decreases every year that a claim is not filed.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your egg.  I am with others, I expect getting a new egg would me less than trying to buy the pieces.  Maybe look for a fest and see about a demo?  I am not sure of hearing of one in Indy but I think I read there was one July or August in Louisville.  Would be bad to go that long without a egg but the savings might make you think about it.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    buzd504 said:

KiterTodd said:

Surely you joist...

Before filing with insurance, I'd write a very nice email to Big Green Egg. Simply explain the nest didn't stand up against the winds and kindly ask if there's anything they could see in their hearts to do. My experience with BGE claims has been fantastic so far, as has many here's. You're a contributor to their forum. Maybe link to this thread?

What's the worst they could say?

I always say it's worth giving the home office a try. Applies to all products.

Best of luck
    8-Damien
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great idea @MaskedMarvel- can't hurt to ask! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited June 2014
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    KiterTodd said:

Point taken.  Around here (MD) it is a very small portion relative to other monthly bills (mortgage, auto insurance, utilities, etc.)   When I look at the coverage cost I'm always surprised by that.  BUT, I forgot that in other areas where the probability of home loss or damage is much higher, the insurance must match that as well.

Noted.

I'd still file a claim...if it makes sense with whatever your deductible is.   Doesn't hurt to ask BGE first, just in case.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • nick_banich
    Options
    Thanks for the idea on the email to BGE.  I just sent one in.  

Given my 1K deductible - probably doesn't make sense...  Next eggfest here is in August at Sullivan's hardware.  I'm hoping to be on my best behavior with SWMBO and her letting me go get a replacement well before that.  --> Hopefully she will go through withdraws of my cooking and the process can be expidited!! 
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Deductible is usually 1 percent of your insured value. A new large would cost you about 1k, so it's not worth it unless your homes insured value is greater than 100k. This is assuming that the egg was the only thing damaged in the storm.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Any follow up from the mothership?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    @Terrebandit:  less than.  e.g. $50K house = $500 deductible.
    Kemah, TX