Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Data point for brisket FTC

I cooked a few brisket last night and pulled them off early this morning. I FTC'd one. I had a crap cooler and double wrapped it with HD foil. I used two towels and kept it all outside in the sun. (84 degrees today). 

I left it in the FTC for 11.5 hours and the meat was 120 degrees. I'm sure this doesn't conform with the food safety nazis but it ate good. The bark sucked but was warm and tasty. 
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Dude you got a stomach of iron you can consume anything.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @travisstrick‌
    Sir you shared your tuna dip recipe with me so I want to return the favor. Years ago I had the good fortune of spending some time around some very accomplished cooks and I picked up a few tricks along the way. I would like to share one of them now with hopes of it helping anyone who wishes to hold brisket for a extended time without changing the texture or taste. Rather you chose to believe what I'm about to say or not it's the truth so here goes. In 1994 I witnessed Myron Mixon hold a brisket for 14 hours and win the event. He put the completed brisket in a very large pan with a half of cup of beef broth and a half a cup of cider vinegar and then double wrapped the whole pan with heavy duty aluminum foil. He then held the warmer between 150 and 160 degrees. Never cooler or warmer than the said temps. The only comment he would make was that most people add to much liquid when trying to hold a brisket and drown them. I have followed his technique to this day with outstanding results. Around the holidays when there is lots of cooking going on its a real useful trick. I hope this is of some help to you my friend. And again thanks for the tuna info.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    my ftc brisket this week was in the cooler for about 6 hours.  Didn't check temp when it was cut but it was fabulous.  My lovely wife actually cut it.  She was shocked how juicy it still was after sitting that long.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• You vill give me that brisket or I'll call Schultz!

Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Didn't those burgers hit you some hours later that one time? It may be early in the game... :D

Just kidding. I'm sure you'll be fine.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's basically a sterilized piece of meat slowly coming down from 200-ish to "the danger zone!" around 130F.  As long as you didn't rub feces or dirt on it, it'll probably be safe for another 12 hours.  120F is a perfectly fine temp for eating.   It be sterilized.