Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Suggestions

Options
I am hosting a family party in early July and want to Egg something for the group, approximately 30-35 people, just not sure what to make.  Normally when I do these parties, I end up spending half or more of my time cooking, this year I would like to keep it simple so I can enjoy my guests, but still have the Egg factor?  Any suggestions on what to cook, when and how?  

Thanks
Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    FYI, in the past few years I have done pulled pork, ABT's, Cedar planked nachos, mac n cheese, Prime Rib, chicken wings, grilled pineapple, and ribs?
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Pulled pork and apps

Garnerville, NY
  • Monty77
    Options
    Part of me is thinking about doing two briskets the night before and having them for the group on buns, that might be top idea so far? 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2014
    Options

Pit beef or chipped beef.  You could do at least 3, maybe 4, good sized top rounds at once raised direct.  Throw on 3 or 4 more after the first round is done, and holding.  Whip up some tiger sauce in advance.  Sliced raw onions, kaiser or rye, or both.  Pull early for carryover during brief hold, then slice in front of guests.  

Pulled chicken, egg day before.  Reheat DO in DO with some scratch-made  BBQ sauce.  

Or a fajita bar with the pulled or chopped chicken.  Add some sort of beef and shrimp in the mix and cook during the event.       

One large makes it tough.  Do you have any other grills to assist?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Pulled beef?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    ^^^ +1

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Monty77
    edited June 2014
    Options
    When I bought the Egg I said I would still use the Weber... after a year and the cover was never taken off it, I sold it.  So I am have a Large Egg for now, going to grab a second demo Large at one of the Eggfest we tour in September/October.  I like the fajita bar idea, that could be gold!  

Thanks all for the suggestions, they all sound great!  Keep em coming, if nothing else you are making my hungry!  

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    For a large group you can't go wrong with pulled pork.  You will be free to party with the group while it rests (finish early and FTC)  If you have some non pork eaters, Spatch a chicken or two - still lets you spend time with the party.  
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Here's what I just did for my daughter's graduation party - about the same amout of folks - pulled pork cooked a few days ahead of time. (also did some pulled chicken).  All I had to do on party day was to put the pork in a metal pan, sauce it up and warm it.  Gave me plenty of time to enjoy the guests and came out great. @focker I do like your fajita bar idea.

Milton, GA.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    You could get a couple huge pork butts done and FTC them until dinner. You could then make a second cook of chicken, burgers, wings, turbo ribs, etc and serve all at once. Make/serve a couple sauces with some side and fixins and you are good to go.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    What I like to do for the main course is pulled pork and pulled chicken. I do my butts L&S foiling if necessary. Then when those are FTC I ramp up the heat and lay down spatchcocked chickens and cook them faster around and hour or so and serve the two together. I face the legs/dark meat towards the outside edge of the grate to catch the higher heat and the white meat is at the center over the more indirect heat.  All sides and starters I do in advance and concentrate on ones that can be served chilled or room temperature and it makes for an easy day that looks like you slaved all day. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Monty77
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!  Gonna be pulled pork or Fajita bar, giving the wife final call on this one!  

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    For that size crowd you could do 1 butt for PP and a large chuck for pulled beef. Both will cook similarly, beef will take longer. Both are stress free and can be FTC'd. Gives a bit of variety without extra drama. Fajita bar sounds good, but think about cleanup. There will be more given the serving dishes for toppings, etc. I've done PP and PB combo several times and its well received.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    35 wings. iGo cheap.

Lol
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Would you like to do an easy grilled chicken and beef taco party? No L&S but guaranteed to please everyone?
    Dearborn MI
  • Monty77
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    Would you like to do an easy grilled chicken and beef taco party? No L&S but guaranteed to please everyone?

That is a solid idea as well, not bad at all!  Love all the options you guys have proposed, might have to have a few more parties to get them all accomplished  

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I have done this100 times I'll send u the paste for the flank steak and marinade for the chicken if you want. I grill them both together. Serve with lettuce, tomato, guacamole and cheese. Easy sides of Spanish rice, beans, and coleslaw. Let me know if you want them.
    Dearborn MI
  • Monty77
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    I have done this100 times I'll send u the paste for the flank steak and marinade for the chicken if you want. I grill them both together. Serve with lettuce, tomato, guacamole and cheese. Easy sides of Spanish rice, beans, and coleslaw. Let me know if you want them.
    Thank you for your generosity, I will keep you posted.  Depending where you are in Michigan, we may not be far away as I spend lots of time in Detroit and Port Huron!  

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Fajitas sound good but pp will be easy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I'd do some PP, and use another raised grid and find something to cook with it as an app or side.

You could turbo some butts, and then do some bacon wrapped onion rings up top!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Pulled pork. Hot and fast.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You can do a spatchcocked turkey in less than 90 min. Just before the turkey do a nice big ham in a couple of hours. 3.5 hours you can feed that bunch. Have biscuits and rolls to make sandwiches with.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I was thinking of doing to full brisket and two pork butts on XLR with my raised grid. I may do some sausage and baked beans. Nice thing about the egg, you can set it and not b worry about it tell it's about time to pull everything.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.