Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket today!

grussem
grussem Posts: 120
Hey Everyone!

Well it's been one hell of a month at work and I decided I needed some BBQ stress relief.  Yesterday I made some killer smoked beef ribs.  Today I am doing a 7 3/4 lb Beef Brisket flat.  It's a Certified Angus Choice cut.  I am going to try a bit of a hybrid of low/slow & hot/fast due to time constraints.  I did not inject this time.  This is purely experimental and if it comes out a bit too dry due to not injecting I will just cut it into cubes and make Texas style chili like I did the last time I had a so/so brisket cook.

My plan is to smoke it at 250 dome temp until it gets to about 165, wrap it, then crank the temp up to about 350 until I get an internal temp of about 190 with good butter tenderness.  Anyhow I'll keep youse posted.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Enjoy your weekend and your brisket!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Enjoy your weekend and your brisket!
    Will do, thanks!
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Let us know how it goes. I am going to do one on Sunday.  Going to use a similar method.

Long Island, NY
  • grussem
    radamo said:
    Let us know how it goes. I am going to do one on Sunday.  Going to use a similar method.

I sure will, good or bad lol.  Of the 8 brisket cooks I've done there is only one that I would say I have done "perfect".  This time I am writing down notes on everything I do that way I know how to do or not to do the next cook.
  • radamo
    I did one flat and it came a bit dry but tasty.  Going back to basics on the next one... also a flat.  It is just 3 of us, hard to justify a full packer. 
    Long Island, NY
  • grussem
    radamo said:
    I did one flat and it came a bit dry but tasty.  Going back to basics on the next one... also a flat.  It is just 3 of us, hard to justify a full packer. 
    Same here as far as people, just the wife and I. So far the last 2 times I did brisket, it was just the flat but the place I get them from are all Angus certified "Choice" grade.  There is a pretty good amount of fat cap on it from where the point was adjoined, I did not trim any of it off at all.  Of the last 2 times one was the "perfect" one, the other one I know what I did wrong (I ended up running some errands and my temp spiked because I opened the lid prior to leaving to eyeball it a bit, resulting in it being just a tad bit too dry).

I am just not sure how this one will turn out since I did not inject it....that is one of the things I did different.  On the one "perfect" on I smoked I injected.  The way I see it though is, it's BBQ and part of the fun is trying new techniques and enjoying (or not) the results as you find out what works best.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Doing one tonight or Saturday night.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • grussem
    PERFECTO! The perfect combination of low and slow/hot and fast! A nearly 8 lb brisket done in about 7 hours :-) It was so very moist and tender, absolutely perfect! This is my go to recipe from now on!  The only thing I will do different is add a bit more brown sugar to the rub.  I am so very happy with the way this came out!

• radamo
    edited May 2014
    Excellent. Glad it came out well for you. I am planning similar for Sunday. Looks like a nice smoke ring.
    Long Island, NY
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice work, craving a CAB brisket myself just need to spent the $40+.
    I keep it simple salt and.course pepper.
    Seattle, WA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Nicely done.  =D>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    How was the bark? That's the question I always hear with foiling or hot and fast cooks.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • grussem
    SkinnyV said:
    Nice work, craving a CAB brisket myself just need to spent the $40+. I keep it simple salt and.course pepper.
    I normally only do the salt and pepper as well wit my brisket but this one was experimental in nature so I figured I'd do it a little different.  Yeah, the CAB are expensive but worth it at the end. For me, it was either that or go to Walmart and I once got one from there that was absolute garbage. 

How was the bark? That's the question I always hear with foiling or hot and fast cooks.
    The bark was not as crunchy as I would have liked and I am positive it was due to the foiling.  The last one I made I did not wrap and the bark came out really nice.  My intent on this cook was to leave it sit in the egg for about 15 minutes or so after unfoiling to let the bark get a bit crunchy again but by the time I checked the temp it was ranging from 200-209 all over the brisket and I did not want to risk over cooking it.

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited May 2014
    In my opinion, a juicy, tender brisket is the goal. If you can do it with crunchy bark, well that's a bonus, but that's a pro goal. In my mind we'll all chase our whole lives. I'll take so so bark and perfect brisket otherwise any day!

Sounds great! Thanks for posting, this may be what I try on my next brisket attempt.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE